Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I delete photos from iPhone (/erase iPhone) without losing photos on iPad with iCloud Photo Library?

I Have noticed since enabling iCloud Photo Library, that when I delete a photo on my iPhone it is automatically removed from my iPad. I would like to use my large capacity iPad as my primary photo storage device and I worry that when I get a new iPhone and subsequently erase the old one that I will lose my photos? Long story short, I don't want the photos to be deleted across all devices automatically, just from the one I choose to delete. I also want one way syncing so that everything is uploaded to my iPad, but for my phone not to suddenly download the entire content of my iPad; this is why I want to delete the old phone and not download it onto the new device, but I'm not sure how I will ever be able to turn the photo sharing on the new phone without getting overloaded? So basically I want the freedom to delete what I want from my iphone without affecting my iPad. Please help. I am currently using my iPad as a primary computer.

iPad

Posted on Aug 14, 2015 8:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2015 9:46 AM

Unfortunately, if you delete the photos on one device, they are deleted everywhere. That's the problem with using some thing like iCloud Photo Library and that's why I don't use it myself. If you do have a computer, you can download all of your photos from iCloud.com onto the computer and then you don't have to worry about deleting the photos on the phone. You will have them safely stored on your own computer.

This is copied from the article that you were reading that linked you to the support site.

If you want to remove photos and videos from all your iOS devices, Mac, and iCloud.com, you can delete them in the Photos app.

When you delete a photo or video from your Photos app, it will also delete from your iCloud Photo Library and iCloud storage. You can recover your photos and videos from the Recently Deleted album for 30 days.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 14, 2015 9:46 AM in response to larooox

Unfortunately, if you delete the photos on one device, they are deleted everywhere. That's the problem with using some thing like iCloud Photo Library and that's why I don't use it myself. If you do have a computer, you can download all of your photos from iCloud.com onto the computer and then you don't have to worry about deleting the photos on the phone. You will have them safely stored on your own computer.

This is copied from the article that you were reading that linked you to the support site.

If you want to remove photos and videos from all your iOS devices, Mac, and iCloud.com, you can delete them in the Photos app.

When you delete a photo or video from your Photos app, it will also delete from your iCloud Photo Library and iCloud storage. You can recover your photos and videos from the Recently Deleted album for 30 days.

Aug 14, 2015 10:27 AM in response to Demo

Is there a simple way to download the photos directly to my iPad, so they are stored on the actual device (and not, effectively, 'in the air') and unaffected by the iCloud Photo library? Or is there no separation between device and iCloud anymore? If only there was some sort of 'permanently on device folder. I have created albums, so I would like the keep them permanently, I don't mind losing the stuff I can't be bothered to put in an album. I have stopped using a regular computer since I've found I can do everything and more on the iPad faster.

Aug 14, 2015 10:43 AM in response to larooox

With iCloud photo enabled, you cannot delete a photo on one device without deleting it from every device that uses iCloud photo library. In order to save space on your mobile devices (and indeed your Mac if you wish to do so) turn on optimisation for photos on these devices (settings > photos & camera > optimise storage on your mobile device and Photo preferences > optimise storage on your Mac)

Optimisation is dynamic, it reduces the resolution of your photos as and when needed, so you may not notice it occurring at first. However when it is needed, it is very effective and users have reported libraries being optimised to much less than 10% of their original size in some cases. My own library is about 9% of its original size on my phone.

Aug 14, 2015 10:50 AM in response to larooox

Llike Demo said, iCloud is the issue here and like him I don't use it either execpt for contacts and Safari links. IMO you would have to disable the iCloud Photo Library (make sure your pictures are backed up just in case) and then you coul transfer photos by AirDrop from the phone to the pad. This is not quick and auto like iCloud but the two devices would be independent. Make sure Photos is also disabled under iCloud. Alternatively you could use an external service like DropBox or PhotoBucket to store the photos. Demo may be able to suggest better options but to my knowledge what are wanting to do is not possible with iCloud.

How do I delete photos from iPhone (/erase iPhone) without losing photos on iPad with iCloud Photo Library?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.