Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reset iPad to factory, lost password

I have a 1st generation iPad that just landed on my desk. Might be 2nd gen. Not entirely sure.

The user that had it no longer works here and cannot be reached to get the password for the device. The existing data on it is considered "lost" and of no value.

Password is unknown.

There is no backup for this device.

No access to Apple ID used to setup device.

No access to machine used to connect to it via iTunes.

No idea why I always get these fun little problems on a Friday afternoon.

All the guides I've been able to find assume you either have the password or you have a working backup and the machine it was setup on. I have none of these. I just want to wipe the thing.

iPad

Posted on Aug 14, 2015 11:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2015 6:15 AM

Halfway there.

Followed the instructions to put the iPad into restore mode. iTunes downloaded an update and reset/updated the iPad.

The iPad is at the initial setup screen. There is no wireless here so it insists on connecting to iTunes via the cable. At which point iTunes insists I enter the Apple Id used to initially setup this device. Except I don't have access to that Apple Id.

Apple why do you insist on complicating my life?

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 17, 2015 6:15 AM in response to SoggyNoodle

Halfway there.

Followed the instructions to put the iPad into restore mode. iTunes downloaded an update and reset/updated the iPad.

The iPad is at the initial setup screen. There is no wireless here so it insists on connecting to iTunes via the cable. At which point iTunes insists I enter the Apple Id used to initially setup this device. Except I don't have access to that Apple Id.

Apple why do you insist on complicating my life?

Aug 17, 2015 6:41 AM in response to SoggyNoodle

The previous user had an iCloud account on it with find my iPhone turned on, activating Activation Lock, and they failed to disable find my phone before turning it in. You will need that iCloud account password to disable activation lock. It's possible if you have proof of original purchase that Apple may help you, but you will need to provide documentation the device is yours, originally purchased new by you.

iCloud: Activation Lock

and

Turn off Find My iPhone Activation Lock - Apple Support

p.s it cannot be a first gen iPad either, as those can run at most iOS 5.1.1 which did not include the features to enable Activation Lock.

Aug 17, 2015 6:41 AM in response to SoggyNoodle

SoggyNoodle wrote:

Then it is not a 1st generation iPad. Activation lock is a feature of iOS 7 and higher. The first gen iPad can not run iOS 7. It tops out at 5.1.1.

There is no way to bypass activation lock. Apple is not trying to complicate your life. If you have the original proof of purchase, take the device and the paperwork to Apple and they can remove the activation lock. Otherwise, it's a brick. Activation lock is doing the job it was intended for and making the device useless to anyone other than the individual who locked it with their account.

Aug 17, 2015 6:47 AM in response to SoggyNoodle

If it's the first generation iPad you should be able to wipe it without the password. (Does it have a camera?) This also doesn't sound like a first gen iPad since it's asking for the password. But if it's the second generation and updated to iOS 7 or later you won't be able to wipe it without the password, due to a feature called activation lock. One of the purposes of that is to prevent stolen iPads from being used by the thief or resold. If this is a business iPad, if you bring it to an Apple store with an original purchase receipt and proof of ownership I believe they will wipe the password for you. And just to make sure you understand, this is a user to user forum you're not talking to Apple on here.If you forgot the passcode for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, or your device is disabled - Apple Support

-AJ

Aug 17, 2015 8:55 AM in response to Michael Black

One step forward, three steps back.

You're right. It has to be a 2nd gen iPad. I've managed to fluke into signing into the Apple Id used on the device. Read the instructions on how to remove the iPhone Activation but can't perform the steps.

The iPad is connected to iTunes on the computer via the cable. I am signed into iTunes on the computer and can see the device. Because this device has been reset Find My iPhone is no longer present on the device. On the device itself it has gotten as far as "sign in with a apple id", which fails with an unknown error as soon as you click on it. Doesn't get far enough to actually sign in.

Completely off topic rant: The former user of this device was a non-stop source of headaches and now his iPad continues to plague me even after he is gone. Aaaaaaargh.

/rant

Reset iPad to factory, lost password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.