Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TC's disk name reverted back to 'Data' and TM stopped working

I'm having a problem with Time Machine and a Time Capsule.

I recently had to upgrade the HD in the TC. (We just had new Macs and would have run out of space very quickly.)

I installed a 6GB HD, formatted it with Airport Utility naming it 'TC001' to avoid confusion with the old drive. I didn't transfer any sparse bundles from the old drive.

I then removed the old drive from TM's list of disks and selected the new volume 'TC001' as the backup volume.

All had been working fine for more than a week until TM completely stopped working two days ago. I only noticed this today.

To my surprise the disk's name had reverted back to 'Data'.

I'm wondering how that could have happened. Does the TC insist on 'Data' as the default name?

What's the best way to get it up and running without having to start from scratch?

Any help wold be much appreciated.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), null

Posted on Aug 14, 2015 10:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2015 2:14 PM

You are treading new ground.. Never have updated to a 6TB before.

What model is the TC?

Almost nobody can answer your question.. but I have never seen it change a disk name.. that seems to be very unusual. By default the disk name is Data.

But if I factory reset a TC.. it will NOT change the disk name..

Let me show you. TCgen1 in a fairly unusual setup wired to extended wireless airport extreme. Disk partition named HB

User uploaded file

Full factory reset.. now it automatically changed to wrong setup.. extend wireless from the main AE..

But you can see the disk partition name still the same.

User uploaded file

What's the best way to get it up and running without having to start from scratch?

Just edit the name back to what you had it.

But I think you need to be aware that the power supply in the TC was never designed for a disk that exceeds the power draw of the 3TB WD green drive.. check the specs of the 6TB and see..

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 14, 2015 2:14 PM in response to Martin S.

You are treading new ground.. Never have updated to a 6TB before.

What model is the TC?

Almost nobody can answer your question.. but I have never seen it change a disk name.. that seems to be very unusual. By default the disk name is Data.

But if I factory reset a TC.. it will NOT change the disk name..

Let me show you. TCgen1 in a fairly unusual setup wired to extended wireless airport extreme. Disk partition named HB

User uploaded file

Full factory reset.. now it automatically changed to wrong setup.. extend wireless from the main AE..

But you can see the disk partition name still the same.

User uploaded file

But I think you need to be aware that the power supply in the TC was never designed for a disk that exceeds the power draw of the 3TB WD green drive.. check the specs of the 6TB and see..

Aug 15, 2015 2:37 AM in response to LaPastenague

Thanks!

TC is an A1409.

The power requirements of the new HD are pretty much the same as for the old one: around 5W.

That's the problem: there appears to be no way to change the name. I guess it's because a shared network volume.

I'm inclined to now stick with the default name of 'Data' just in case this happens again.

I tried adding the newly renamed 'Data' to TM's list, but it didn't recognise the backups currently on that disk and instead wanted to start a new backup.

I guess I'm out of options then.

Aug 15, 2015 3:23 AM in response to Martin S.

As far as I know (LaPastenague is the real pro here), TM uses a unique number of the disk for storing its backups to a disk.

Only changing the name to the original is not enough, and you may have to unshare it first.

Of course you can start with a new Backup, with a new disk.

If you want to use the old Backup: somewhere I remeber that there is a method to mak the old backup available... may be on the now far outdated pondini sites.

greetings LP,

Lex

Edit: remeber->remember

Aug 15, 2015 1:59 PM in response to Martin S.

Post if it happens again.

You did find another example but it is pretty rare..

Reviewing the other thread.. I was fishing for info..

But in your case I am a bit at a loss.. The name is actually written to the drive by the firmware of the TC.. and to change it the name would have to be written over it.

You can check it by pulling out the disk and plugging it into a computer and check the partition name.

TC's disk name reverted back to 'Data' and TM stopped working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.