Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch sapphire glass is very easy to scratch. Beware!

Hi all,

I got the third Apple Watch (2 sports 42 and 38 for my wife, and one 42 stainless steel link for myself) and - despite I take the very best care of it - the glass of my steel 42 Watch scratched yesterday evening, I don't know how.

I didn't hit anything, I don't use bracelets or clothing that could scratch, and in any case sapphire should be the hardest material after diamond. How come it scratches?

If you should ask yourself if it will scratch, then the answer is yes.

Other serious watches like my Suunto Ambit 2 and 3 Peak sapphire never scratched despite the hard outdoor use.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10), late 2013, Core i7 3.5 Ghz 32GB RAM

Posted on Aug 14, 2015 1:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2015 1:09 PM

Hi Riccardo

It is possible that you have only scratched / worn the coating on your watch crystal, rather than damaging the crystal itself:

"The sapphire crystal on your Apple Watch has a fingerprint-resistant oleophobic / oil repellent coating, which will wear away in time under normal usage."

https://help.apple.com/watch/#/apd707b42a5e

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 14, 2015 1:09 PM in response to Riccardo Corbari

Hi Riccardo

It is possible that you have only scratched / worn the coating on your watch crystal, rather than damaging the crystal itself:

"The sapphire crystal on your Apple Watch has a fingerprint-resistant oleophobic / oil repellent coating, which will wear away in time under normal usage."

https://help.apple.com/watch/#/apd707b42a5e

Aug 14, 2015 2:09 PM in response to deggie

Of course, but I never scratched a sapphire glass because I take care of my watches like jewels, in particular this new Watch link.

Of course it came into contact with something, but it's obvious to me that this contact has NOT been neither hard, nor soft. It must have been a super soft imperceptible contact. This should not cause any scratch.

Apple Watch sapphire glass is very easy to scratch. Beware!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.