Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

'Unable to connect to the proxy server' possible malware?

I haven't been able to find anything about how to fix this online–and only a few things here and there on what it might be:

I have an older MacBook that I've kept updating for oh … about 8 years now and starting Wednesday of this week it has not been able to connect to the internet on any browers (Firefox, Safari, Chrome). All three have some version of "unable to connect to the proxy server"

The problem is that I do not have any proxies set up (I use Verizon FIOS at home and the computer worked fine just Tuesday using my wireless router). I do occasionally watch movies / TV / sports on sketchy websites (like vipbox.tv) but did not do that between Tuesday & Wednesday.

I have read online how to fix the proxy issue in settings on Chrome / Firefox / Safari but in my Network settings I cannot uncheck the proxy. Instead, it says YOUR NETWORK PROXY SETTINGS ARE BEING MANAGED BY AN EXTENSION. I think this is my problem. I'm assuming that the extension is some sort of malware that has installed itself on my computer. I have Avast but it did not detect anything when I ran it …

Does anyone have any idea how to get rid of this? I do have an appointment with the local Genius Bar but it isn't until Monday and I would like to avoid the trip if possible. Thanks in advance (and I don't need any scolding about visiting sketchy websites!)

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 14, 2015 5:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2015 8:00 PM

Garret was referring to 'Apple menu > System Preferences > Network'. Select the connection you use for the internet (Wifi, Ethernet etc). Click the advanced button & look in the 'Proxies' tab.

Are any items enabled? Post back with info if they are, you may see text stating …

Bypass proxy setting for these Hosts & Domains:

*.local, 169.254/16

That is normal & can be ignored.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 14, 2015 8:00 PM in response to aaronhuston

Garret was referring to 'Apple menu > System Preferences > Network'. Select the connection you use for the internet (Wifi, Ethernet etc). Click the advanced button & look in the 'Proxies' tab.

Are any items enabled? Post back with info if they are, you may see text stating …

Bypass proxy setting for these Hosts & Domains:

*.local, 169.254/16

That is normal & can be ignored.

Aug 14, 2015 5:55 PM in response to aaronhuston

Extensions are simply add-ons for browsers. They are not malware unless you have installed junk applications that try to hijack your browser.

Make a list of any installed extensions for each browser & post it here for feedback.

Safari has the option to disable them in the Preferences, Extensions tab. Disable them & retest.

Firefox has 'Tools > Addons', then select the Extensions & disable them & retest.

Chrome has 'Window > Extensions'. Again disable & retest.

If the browsers work you can re-eanble the extensions one by one & see which causes the problem. Install updates if you have them for the browsers & the extensions.

P.S.

Proxies are also used to speed up certain websites - try several sites to be sure that all show the proxy error - sometimes it can be the fault of the site.

Aug 14, 2015 6:18 PM in response to Drew Reece

Hi Drew,

There were no extensions in either Firefox / Safari. There was one in Chrome that I did not recognize that was some sort of security plugin, so I deactivated it and deleted. I restarted Chrome and now instead of 'cannot connect to proxy server' it says 'this webpage is not available ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED' and Firefox says 'Unable to connect' and Safari says it cannot connect to the server.

There is not a problem with my connection. I have tried using the laptop at work, home & a coffee shop. All three showed a good connection to wifi.

I still think something is blocking my access.

Aug 14, 2015 6:35 PM in response to aaronhuston

Did you mess with your proxy sever? If you go to settings>wifi>[current internet connected to]>arrow you should see proxy settings. If the tab menu says Manual in the Proxy Settings: section. If so, click Auto in the tab menu and a reboot would help. If the problem continues, contact Apple & your ISP.

Garret Stand

Visit for your graphic design needs:http://markstandcreative.com

Aug 14, 2015 6:48 PM in response to aaronhuston

I have Avast but it did not detect anything

That's because Avast itself is causing the problem, almost certainly.

"Avast" is the worst of the whole wretched lot of commercial "security" products for the Mac. Not only does it fail to protect you from any real danger, it may send personal data (such as web browsing history and the contents of email messages) back to the developer without your knowledge, give false warnings, destabilize and slow down the computer, expose you to network attack, and corrupt the network settings and the permissions of files in your home folder. Removing it may not repair all the damage.

Some versions of the product also inject advertising into web pages. In short, apart from the fine print in the license agreement, Avast is indistinguishable from malware, and is arguably worse than any known malware now in circulation.

Back up all data, then remove Avast according to the developer's instructions. Restart. Never install any "anti-virus" or "anti-malware" software again.

If you tried to remove Avast by dragging an application to the Trash, you'll have to reinstall it and then follow the instructions linked above.

Aug 14, 2015 7:30 PM in response to aaronhuston

Start up in Recovery mode. In the OS X Utilities screen, select Get Help Online. A clean copy of Safari will launch. No plugins, such as Flash, will be available. While in Recovery, you'll have no access to your saved bookmarks or passwords, so make a note of those before you begin, if they're needed for the test.

Test. After testing, restart as usual and post the results.

Aug 14, 2015 8:07 PM in response to aaronhuston

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It’s unlikely to solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

The purpose of the test is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party software that loads automatically at startup or login, by a peripheral device, by a font conflict, or by corruption of the file system or of certain system caches.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards, if applicable. Start up in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem.

Note: If FileVault is enabled in OS X 10.9 or earlier, or if a firmware password is set, or if the startup volume is a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to start up and run than normal, with limited graphics performance, and some things won’t work at all, including sound output and Wi-Fi on certain models. The next normal startup may also be somewhat slow.

The login screen appears even if you usually login automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, restart as usual (not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of the test.

Aug 24, 2015 2:46 PM in response to aaronhuston

Hey all, sorry I never returned to finish the discussion but things got busy in work/life:

I had to take the laptop in twice to resolve the issue. Basically the Geniuses could never figure it out and I had to do a clean reinstall and backup my data. We never got to the bottom of this, so if anyone else ever has the issue I don't know what to tell them. After the reinstall the computer works great and it was probably a good thing to clear up years of old junk.

I must say however that in the 8+ years I've had this laptop this was the first time I ever had an issue big enough to have to do a clean reinstall, these old white Macbooks are like the Honda Accords of computers – they just keep chuggin' along.

Jan 4, 2016 6:52 AM in response to aaronhuston

Let's first learn what is "unable to connect to the proxy server" error and why this error appears?

The proxy server works as an intermediate between you (the user) and the website. Your identity is kept safe and you are also able to access the websites which were once blocked. “Unable to connect to the proxy server” error means that there is some specific problem with the internet settings of the internet connection you are currently using. If there is any malicious software installed on your system then also you can get this error.

Here's how to fix “Unable to connect to the proxy server” error:

• At first, open Google Chrome browser and then go to Settings → Show Advanced Options.
  • After that go to Network → Change proxy Settings…
  • Open the connections tab and then click on LAN Settings option.
  • Now go “Local Area Network (LAN) Settings” tab and from the "Proxy server" section disable “Use a proxy server for your LAN (These settings will not apply to dial-up or VPN connections)” option. Select Ok and then again Ok.

User uploaded file

Once done, reboot your system. That's it!

In order to see step by step methods along with screenshots, follow this guide How to Fix Error “Unable to connect to the proxy server” in Chrome:

http://www.zerodollartips.com/fix-error-unable-to-connect-to-the-proxy-server/

'Unable to connect to the proxy server' possible malware?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.