Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i transfer data from one computer to the next?

I have an outdated G5 and want to transfer the data (downloaded music, documents etc.)? Is there an easy way to do this? I was advised to buy a hard drive, transfer data to the hard drive and then move it to the mac mini

Posted on Aug 14, 2015 7:11 PM

4 replies

Aug 14, 2015 7:30 PM in response to blueburrito

How old is the Mac Mini? Migration Assistant doesn't support moving from 10.5 to 10.10 as far as I can tell.

You have a few options, but the HD option seems like a good idea to me because you can make a full bootable copy of the ageing hardware & keep it as an independent backup. The G5 may not boot from USB, so you may need a USB + Firewire drive.

If you want to copy via the network you will need to enable file sharing on one of the Macs & then use Finder to connect to it.

Another option is to use Target disk mode…

OS X Mountain Lion: Transfer files between two computers using target disk mode

You will need a Firewire to Thunderbolt cable (or just Firewire if the Mini has that).

Aug 15, 2015 2:00 AM in response to blueburrito

Migration Assistant in OS X Mavericks and Yosemite can transfer information from other computers that have OS X Snow Leopard v10.6.8 or later installed. If you're migrating from a computer with an earlier version of OS X, update your older computer first, or manually copy your data from one computer to another.

Move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

how do i transfer data from one computer to the next?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.