Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Default Song/Album Ratings

For many years, iTunes worked just fine for me. I use ratings extensively, and iTunes was perfectly happy to let me rate stuff myself. I never rate albums--only songs--and everything was great.

And then--iTunes 12 came along, and suddenly "default" ratings are showing up, both on albums and on songs and are totally messing up my smart playlists.

For instance, I have a smart playlist called "Unrated Music", the content of which is (as you might have guessed) songs which I have not rated. But now, songs that I have not rated yet are falling off that list, apparently because iTunes is taking my song ratings, extrapolating those into album ratings, and then applying those album ratings to the individual tracks. It's driving me nucking'futz!

Similarly--I have a playlist called "Rated 3", which includes songs for which I have given a rating of 3. But now, it ALSO contains a slew of songs I have not rated at all, apparently because (again) my song ratings are translating into album ratings, and the album ratings are being applied to song ratings.

This is really, just horrible.

Posted on Aug 14, 2015 10:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2015 5:52 PM

I have a little more info to add: This problem might be being caused or at least exacerbated by my "estimated" album ratings--iTunes seems to compute by averaging the ratings for songs on the album that I have actually rated--somehow being converted from estimated ratings (which show as gray stars) to explicit ratings, which show up as black stars. The problem is that I never (and I mean NEVER) rate albums, I rate songs only, so any album ratings that are showing as explicit were derived by some mean other than me rating them.

I can't offer more insight than that at this point, but I'm going through and deleting all of my explicit album ratings, and I'll see if they return, maybe figure out at least what the scenarios are that cause this.

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 15, 2015 5:52 PM in response to Poiks

I have a little more info to add: This problem might be being caused or at least exacerbated by my "estimated" album ratings--iTunes seems to compute by averaging the ratings for songs on the album that I have actually rated--somehow being converted from estimated ratings (which show as gray stars) to explicit ratings, which show up as black stars. The problem is that I never (and I mean NEVER) rate albums, I rate songs only, so any album ratings that are showing as explicit were derived by some mean other than me rating them.

I can't offer more insight than that at this point, but I'm going through and deleting all of my explicit album ratings, and I'll see if they return, maybe figure out at least what the scenarios are that cause this.

Aug 15, 2015 6:30 PM in response to Poiks

Possible explanation: In one of my iTunes playlists, the "Album Rating" column was displayed instead of the (song) Rating column. It's possible that I have been rating albums accidentally while meaning to rate individual songs, when listening to that playlist. I will continue to monitor and post any updates.

Aug 23, 2015 12:16 AM in response to Poiks

Some background on the terminology I'm using here:

User ratings: Ratings that are displayed as black stars, which one would think are made explicitly by the user--not as the result of a calculation.
Estimated ratings: Ratings that are displayed as grey stars, which seem to be calculated.

From what I can see, estimated album ratings are calculated by averaging the user ratings for the individual tracks on the album.

Similarly, from what I can see, estimated song ratings are carried over from the estimated album ratings. So as you rate songs, the album's rating is estimated. But if you rate albums, the songs' ratings are estimated.

Anyway, the problem I'm having persists, truly bizarre and inexplicable. Last weekend I spent probably an hour clearing all of the user ratings for albums in my iTunes library, which had the desired effect of clearing all of the estimated song ratings (I did this thinking that I may have been unintentionally rating albums, not songs, in iTunes). Then I spent the week listening to and rating music as I always do--on my iPhone. This weekend I reviewed my library on the Mac again, and about 50 albums had user ratings again. There's no way this came from something I did wrong or inadvertently--I only rate songs, as I listen to them, on the phone. The ramifications of these bogus user ratings on albums is that those ratings carry over to the individual, unrated tracks on those albums, affecting all of my smart playlists (which rely heavily on ratings).

So, I have again cleared all the user album ratings, but this time I also purged all the music from my phone and resynchronized all ~10K tracks to the phone again (after most of my album art disappeared). I will continue watching and trying to get to the bottom of how user ratings are being created for albums.

Aug 23, 2015 6:08 AM in response to Poiks

Hi Polks,

Thanks for sharing your experiences in detail -- it's helpful for the rest of us trying to figure out a way to deal with this.

Like you, I've got a smart playlist for unrated songs (which I call Rating=0). Recently I've added a second, regular playlist (called Temp to rate). When I get new music, before I start rating anything, I drag it from the Rating=0 playlist into the other one, so that it will stay where I can find it even if iTunes starts applying its pesky estimated ratings and thus screws up the smart list. I use the "Temp to rate" list to play songs for rating purposes. Now and then I go to that list, sort it by clicking on the rating column, and delete all the tracks with black stars (which unfortunately are all mixed up with the gray stars, but there seems no way around this). I've also gotten a little more aggressive about rating tracks quickly when I add them to the library.

It's a kludgy method, but I'm able to live with it.

Aug 23, 2015 9:43 AM in response to richard grant

Hi Richard,

Yep--my approach is similar. I have a playlist called 'Keep in Rotation" which is for new stuff that I need to rate. I delete the tracks out of there after I've rated them.

So unless I'm missing something, the overall problem here is that iTunes is somehow adding user ratings (black stars) to albums that the user has not rated, which affects the track ratings, and thus the playlists. Is this your interpretation as well?

Aug 23, 2015 2:25 PM in response to Poiks

Polks, I defer to your greater insight here. Your analysis of the situation is the clearest I've seen.

I guess what disturbs me about all this is that apparently this iTunes behavior is regarded by the iTunes team at Apple as a feature, not a bug. I'm not sure who it's intended for, but it certainly annoys a lot of longtime users.

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience and insight here.

Aug 23, 2015 2:57 PM in response to richard grant

I use iTunes 7.5 (yes, old). There is no album rating capability, only track. However, if you rate a track and view your music with albums displayed as albums you will see a rating underneath the album image even if you have rated only one track. It appears this extrapolation of a single track as an album rating is something dating from at least iTunes 7.5.

Just my 2c.

Aug 23, 2015 5:36 PM in response to richard grant

Hi Richard,

If my analysis is correct, it's clearly a bug and (if there were some way to get Apple to address it at all) they could hardly claim it's not. And the bug seems pretty simple, at least in my case: Under certain circumstances, albums are getting user ratings that are not performed by the user. Absent that bug, the albums would only have estimated ratings, and estimated ratings do not propagate to the individual tracks on the album.

Now, having said that, I still haven't figured out how it's happening. I listed to and rated some tracks on my phone today, then synchronized. No incorrect album ratings occurred. But I'll keep an eye on it and see what I can figure out.

Aug 28, 2015 7:47 PM in response to Poiks

There is no longer any doubt what's happening--only why. Every day this week, the songs I rated had the ratings applied properly only to the songs. Today, all the songs I rated created USER RATINGS (not estimated ratings) on the ALBUMS. Another 1/2 hour wasted removing album ratings...

Sep 15, 2015 10:48 AM in response to Poiks

I have the same issue, right after I updated from iTunes 12.1 to 12.2.2 (whatever is current) on Windows 7 and I updated my iPhone from iOS 8.2 to 8.4.1. I too have a "zero rated" smart playlist and I *only* rate tracks on my iPhone, not in iTunes. I never use the Album rating, its a waste of time! For most if not all the tracks I have rated since this update, the relevant "Album Rating" has been forced to solid stars, and any unrated songs in that same album then get the auto-rating (hollow stars) which means they drop out of my smart playlist.

I just wanted to point out that this has happened before in iTunes, I can't remember what version but it was a few years ago. Apple did fix it with an update to iTunes (or maybe iOS) so I'm hoping that will happen again soon - presumably with iOS 9 ... here's hoping.

Also, as it seems to affect albums from which I have recently listened to & rated a track, my way around this for now is to create a Smart Playlist with the rule "Album Rating" "is in the range" "1 star - 5 stars" - tick the "Limit to" box, set it to something like "100 items", selected by "most recently played". I've called this something prominent and in the playlist I only show minimal columns like the Track Name, Artist, Album Rating and Last Played (which I sort by). This way, I can quite quickly find the albums that have had the rating set (wrongly) and I can click on the Album Rating to reset it to zero.

Sep 17, 2015 9:02 PM in response to Durwin99

Well, sad to say iOS 9 didn't fix it.

The irony is that unless programming has changed a lot over the years, someone wrote a line of code somewhere that references the wrong "rating" data element (i.e. points the update to the album rating instead of the song rating). But wherever that line of code exists, it's only triggered periodically (I have the issue about once a week). But you'd think it would be fairly easy to find/fix.

Dec 16, 2015 9:20 PM in response to Poiks

Still happening. So irritating. The net is that when I rate songs, the ratings are SOMETIMES applied to albums, but not as estimated ratings (greyed out), they're recorded as explicit ratings (in black). Someone wrote a bad line of code somewhere, and Apple hadn't seen fit to fix it yet. 😠

Default Song/Album Ratings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.