Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bash: Services: Command Not Found

Hey guys,

think i've messed up my bash_profile, tried googling it and it didn't make sense ! I'm playing about with Metasploit, and I cannot get my postgrestql database to connect. Keeps saying no connection so I'm trying to manually connect the database but it still not having it, so I'm in terminal and I'm attempting to manually start the postgrestql with the command

"

service postgrestql start

"

To which I get the reply

"

-bash: service: command not found

"

Can somebody help me, I've got a feeling I need to reset my bash variables but I'm not sure how to and the other discussions on the internet seems rather confusing!!

Thanks

Rob

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10), Virgin Media Super Hub

Posted on Aug 14, 2015 7:49 PM

1 reply

Aug 14, 2015 8:16 PM in response to Rash-Fires

OS X does not have the 'service' command.

I suggest you review the guide you are following, it may be for another OS that has different tools & commands.

If you are 'playing around' you may find it easier to use a specific security Linux distro, Kali Linux is designed for that and it has lots of documentation & all the tools installed.

kali.org

launchctl may be the tool that runs postgres on OS X, that is how it manages daemons & background jobs. You will need to review the documentation from where you installed postgres (I'm unclear if it is in OS X or if you are running OS X server).

Bash: Services: Command Not Found

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.