Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unknown Application shows on my iPhone

This image shows up on my iPhone 5s occasionally. I have noticed this same image on other iPhone models as well. I came across an elderly stranger who had this on his iPhone 3G, and that person couldn't figure out as well what was going on. Any clue on what it might be? Could it a bad thing like a virus?

This image mostly shows up when I first access my phone (like just after unlocking), and rarely while using my phone. It seems an app must be using my iPhone while I am away from it.

This is a step by step on how the image pops up:

1. I unlock my iPhone by entering a passcode

2. This screen (image below) pops up, and I can't do anything at this point (like can't exit this screen by pressing home button, but jut click dismiss)

3. I click dismiss, and return to home screen

There is minimal info about this thing, so some insight will be much appreciated!

User uploaded file

iPhone 5s

Posted on Aug 14, 2015 8:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2015 10:29 PM

That looks like a flash message. They are illegal in the US, but common in other areas. They are spam. -AJ

2 replies

Aug 14, 2015 8:34 PM in response to katerules

Kate, the good news is that unless you have "jailbroken" your phone which I seriously doubt, then the "unknown application" is not a virus. Never heard of a virus in an iOS device that is not jailbroken. That being said this is very strange indeed. What have you tried so far? I would start with a hard reboot. Hold down the Home and Wake/Sleep buttons at the same time for about 15-20 seconds until the Apple logo appears. Ignore the "Slide to power off" text if it comes up. You will not loose anything.

If this does not take care of it there is a more time consuming option that will restore your phone to near new status. Check this Apple guide on doing a backup and restore. This is a safe procedure which I and many others have done with little or no risk. To be safe I would import or copy your photos to a computer since that is about the only risk I have seen reported (rarely but pictures are not replaceable).

Use iTunes to restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

Hope this helps....

Unknown Application shows on my iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.