Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPort Time Capsule out of space for Time Machine back up

Hi all

I've had my 2TB AirPort Time Capsule for the past few months and has been running like a dream.

However, during it's Time Machine back today up it prompted me with the following error:

This backup is too large for the backup disk. The backup requires 1.10 TB but only 1.02 TB are available.

Can anyone give me an idea on why I have this error when the AirPort Time Capsule has a 2TB capacity?

A little confused here and would really appreciate some help.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 14, 2015 8:19 PM

8 replies

Aug 14, 2015 10:04 PM in response to cheekyage

The various issues with Time Machine include needing to redo the whole backup because the computer name has changed.

Please check if your computer name is now different.. this happens automagically on Yosemite as it regularly ghosts itself to the network..

Check what Time Machine is doing by reading its log.

The widget makes this easy.. See A1 here. http://pondini.org/TM/Troubleshooting.html

But you can find the log details directly via the console.

See what is going on.

Aug 15, 2015 3:08 PM in response to cheekyage

I cannot tell you until you tell me what is the share name of the computer NOW.. and what is the share name in the TM sparsebundle.

That is why I said to check it. Yosemite can autonomously change the computer name without telling you.. when it does that it will attempt a new backup because the old one is not registered.

If that is the case change the name back and it will fix it.

It can be caused by corruption in the existing backup. Did you verify the backup??

Read a bit of pondini..

I already gave the reference. http://pondini.org/TM/Troubleshooting.html

A1 to find out the TM logs.

B6, to reconnect to your backups.

A5 to verify the existing backup.

However Pondini (the guy who wrote it died before Mavericks so he is somewhat out of date).. TM has not improved .. and in fact is less reliable in Yosemite than ever..

In the end you wipe the TC and start over. If the backup history is important to you archive it off to a USB drive beforehand.. but I think you can expect this to happen with increasing frequency until Apple fix some of the TM bugs.

I strongly recommend to people now .. use Carbon Copy Cloner or Chronosync.. ( I use CCC). As a secondary backup.. which is a lot more reliable than TM is.. but TM is worth it for incrementals..

Aug 16, 2015 4:22 AM in response to cheekyage

Your share name is in share.. in system preferences.. you must have never seen it.

User uploaded file

Note the network local name is still listed as different to the computer. This happened the day I started a Yosemite computer on the network and all gehenna broke loose. Needless to say I immediately put that useless pile of crud to death.

All info is available btw if you google it..

OS X Mavericks: Find your computer’s name and address

Now you know the name.. open the disk with the sparsebundle on your TC with the backups. It should be named data by default.

It will show in shared in finder.

User uploaded file

There you can see the names of the computers I have backed up..

The name in preferences must match the name in actual backup.

Aug 16, 2015 5:19 AM in response to LaPastenague

That is very helpful, thank you for taking the time out to help me and also provide the screen shots. This made it very easy to understand.

Ok, so I have followed your instructions. I found out my computer's shared name.

I then went into the the AirPort Time Capsule drive and found the sparsbundle had a different name like you suggested.

I re-named this to match my shared computer name.

I then started the Time Machine back up and all started great, it then came up with the same error - This backup is too large for the backup disk. The backup requires 1.11 TB but only 1.02 TB are available.

I am using Snow Leopard 10.6.8. if that makes any difference.

Aug 16, 2015 2:32 PM in response to cheekyage

Something has happened and I am not sure what..

The fact that the backup and the computer have different names, even if you fixed it points to issues that happened and TM messed itself up.

Your way forward is to wipe the TC and start over.

Do you need the old backup.. if so here are your choices.

Buy a USB drive of 2TB or more.. and archive the existing backup from the TC before you wipe it.

Plug the USB drive into the computer or into the TC and use that as new destination for your backup.

You can try to fix the old backup.. but IMHO it is a waste of time..

All the info you need is in pondini. As already given.. did you verify the backup.. if not .. it might work..

I strongly recommend start again.. TM is unreliable the longer it runs. But if you want old files.. it is well worth doing an archive.

See the airport utility disk tab.. for both archive and disk erase.. use fast erase .. it will dispose of the lot in 2min.

User uploaded file

AirPort Time Capsule out of space for Time Machine back up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.