Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help installing HFS+ driver in Windows 10 from Bootcamp 6?

I waited for Bootcamp 6 to install Windows 10. BUT I had Paragon's free HFS+ driver for Windows 8.1 installed when I did the upgrade to Windows 10 and allowed Bootcamp 6 to install. I uninstalled Paragon's Win8.1 driver and have not yet figured out how to install Apple's current HFS+ support driver included with Bootcamp 6. Is this possible? I tried re-running Bootcamp 6 to repair and no luck with that. It ran, but doesn't seem to add any HFS+ support in repair mode. Is the HFS+ driver any better than what was included for Windows 8.1 support in Bootcamp 5.x?

My Windows 10 install otherwise works great. Even on my iMac 5K (late 2014). My only hang up is that I have an external drive that has a 4TB HFS+ partition and if I leave that drive connected when I reboot to Windows 10 it now freaks out and crashes. I'd like to not have to disconnect it each and every time I reboot to Windows, if possible.

iMac with Retina 5K display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Aug 14, 2015 8:49 PM

8 replies

Aug 15, 2015 11:18 AM in response to geotay

geotay wrote:

I uninstalled Paragon's Win8.1 driver and have not yet figured out how to install Apple's current HFS+ support driver included with Bootcamp 6. Is this possible?

Yes. The Windows 10/BC 6 Bootcamp.msi should be run with Administrative privileges and computability mode set to the W7/W8 depending on the original Windows version you upgraded from.

Aug 17, 2015 7:23 PM in response to akjeff

akjeff wrote:

I'm having the same issue. Weird part is that I can see my Time Machine drive. I think the problem might be that the HFS+ driver can't mount CoreStorage volumes.

Is anyone using a Fusion Drive and is able to see it within Windows 10?

CS volumes are not visible in Windows because there is no Apple driver for it. If your CS volume is revertible (check the output of diskutil cs list) then you can convert it back to JHFS+ get read access to it.

Aug 17, 2015 8:00 PM in response to akjeff

It is still valid for single-disk JHFS+ disks, which is currently the majority of Macs sold.

Writing a CS driver for Windows is a pain, because Windows will need to understand that the two disks together are a single file system (as OS X does) and IO should be done through an abstraction layer similar to the vnode/vfs or a mini-OSX kernel inside the driver.

Yosemite defaults to CS, but can be reverted if FV2 si also absent. FileVault2 is unmanageable in Windows due to encryption requirements.

Help installing HFS+ driver in Windows 10 from Bootcamp 6?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.