Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'm using Tiger 10.4.11/Safari often crashes because of "Bad Font Detected" $C/all fonts have been validated as safe/any suggestions?

Safari often crashes when I go to a page and get a warning sign !BAD FONT DETECTED! $C / What the heck is $C?

I have gone to Font Book and validated all fonts. They have all been shown to be safe. I don't understand how my fonts

that I only use in Text Edit could have any impact on Safari when I'm simply searching for things. Is the "bad font"

on certain websites? I'm SO confused! I've had this computer for years and it has run perfectly until now. Is this a virus?

I first discovered this when I went to a site called Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Songwriters. I get the Bad Font warning

every time I go to the site and it crashes. Then I tried going other sites and this happens sporadically with different sites.

Most are OK but many are not. It's a real pain in the neck. Can anyone shed some light on this subject and/or

provide a simple solution. Where does the "Bad Font" warning come from? Apple? Usually Apple warnings or msgs have the Safari logo.

This warning does not. Also: e-mail does not have this problem. It only happens in Safari searches. Thanks in advance.

(I'm using TIGER 10.4.11)

iMac G5 (20-inch iSight), Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Aug 15, 2015 1:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2015 9:44 AM

Howdy Dylan

I am running Tiger on my PB Pismo - the Safari version is 4.1.3 and is NOT ready for prime time when it comes to modern web pages. I am not saying that there is NOT a problem with the FONT that is being "Dynamically loaded" with the jqueryAPI

Your troubleshooting of 'installed' fonts on your Mac was in vain, I fear - we need to test another way.

Since various sites get the misbehavior, it is clear that Safari is not up to the task for the way you use the InterWeb.

I (and many here) use a stable build of Firefox for vintage OSX called TenFourFox <http://www.floodgap.com/software/tenfourfox/> - it rocks!

I suggest reading the 10.4Fox pages in their entirety - and then downloading and testing your pages using it. Worry not, all your Bookmarks can be ported to 10.4Fox from Safari.

*forgive me for not answering many of your "intuitive possibilities", but I am positive that Safari4.1.3 is not up to the task of displaying " Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Songwriters " - FONT issue or not, as it it is loaded with large images - 100 to be exact - and even 10.4Fox took a while to load it (it is very likely a slow server-load problem as well)

User uploaded file

let us know how your experiment comes out... as you can see = no "Bad font" alert experienced by me w/ 10.4Fox v.38.2

buenos tardes

ÇÇÇ

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 15, 2015 9:44 AM in response to Dylanmusic

Howdy Dylan

I am running Tiger on my PB Pismo - the Safari version is 4.1.3 and is NOT ready for prime time when it comes to modern web pages. I am not saying that there is NOT a problem with the FONT that is being "Dynamically loaded" with the jqueryAPI

Your troubleshooting of 'installed' fonts on your Mac was in vain, I fear - we need to test another way.

Since various sites get the misbehavior, it is clear that Safari is not up to the task for the way you use the InterWeb.

I (and many here) use a stable build of Firefox for vintage OSX called TenFourFox <http://www.floodgap.com/software/tenfourfox/> - it rocks!

I suggest reading the 10.4Fox pages in their entirety - and then downloading and testing your pages using it. Worry not, all your Bookmarks can be ported to 10.4Fox from Safari.

*forgive me for not answering many of your "intuitive possibilities", but I am positive that Safari4.1.3 is not up to the task of displaying " Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Songwriters " - FONT issue or not, as it it is loaded with large images - 100 to be exact - and even 10.4Fox took a while to load it (it is very likely a slow server-load problem as well)

User uploaded file

let us know how your experiment comes out... as you can see = no "Bad font" alert experienced by me w/ 10.4Fox v.38.2

buenos tardes

ÇÇÇ

I'm using Tiger 10.4.11/Safari often crashes because of "Bad Font Detected" $C/all fonts have been validated as safe/any suggestions?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.