Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using iPad 10W Charger for MacBook 12" retina

Dear,

I saw that the MacBook retina is delivered with a 30W USB charger (or 6A). It also seems that thanks to the new USB-C protocol, an external battery could be used to charge the MacBook.

Does anyone try to use an iPad Charger as an alternative MacBook Charger? It would be nice to avoid multiple chargers at all location. If 2A are enough to at least keep the amount of charge of the MacBook then it would be a great "one charger" for all devices.

Thanks!

Kr,

David

Posted on Aug 15, 2015 4:27 AM

6 replies

Aug 15, 2015 2:06 PM in response to glagaffe

I've tried this once with a USB type A to USB type C cable and the laptop sort of steady-states. If it's running the machine typically draws between 6w and 10w for moderate use (can go higher for gaming and such). The charger can charge or keep level for those light-moderate workloads but not for more.

Ultimately not something I'd recommend. The charger got very warm in my test and I'm not sure of the impact on the battery if it's charging and draining simultaneously. The same behavior happens with USB batteries. I've decided after testing both that I'd only use either to charge it with the laptop off.

Aug 16, 2015 10:27 AM in response to Lanny

If you look at a utility that tracks the overall system power draw like coconutBattery, it will show an offset amount of power, so I guess it's just draining the battery slowly and pulling maximum output from the charger and not doing a drain/charge simultaneously.

E.g.: Normal drain while doing something CPU intensive with high screen brightness could be 11+w and with it plugged into the iPad charger it'll show something like 1+w drain on the battery.

Using iPad 10W Charger for MacBook 12" retina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.