Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

anybody else having iTunes issues since 12.2.2 update? very unresponsive and I get the rainbow spinning wheel after click. Tried restarting and the issues still persists? Any ideas? Running an iMac with 10.10.5 which was just installed as well.

Anybody else having iTunes issues since 12.2.2 update? very unresponsive and I get the rainbow spinning wheel after every mouse click and any other action I try to perform. Tried restarting and the issues still persists? Any ideas? Running an iMac with 10.10.5 which was just installed as well.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Aug 15, 2015 6:47 AM

15 replies

Aug 15, 2015 7:32 AM in response to magwag72

When you see a beachball cursor or the slowness is especially bad, note the exact time: hour, minute, second.

These instructions must be carried out as an administrator. If you have only one user account, you are the administrator.

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

The title of the Console window should be All Messages. If it isn't, select

SYSTEM LOG QUERIES All Messages

from the log list on the left. If you don't see that list, select

View Show Log List

from the menu bar at the top of the screen.

Each message in the log begins with the date and time when it was entered. Scroll back to the time you noted above.

Select the messages entered from then until the end of the episode, or until they start to repeat, whichever comes first.

Copy the messages to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Paste into a reply to this message by pressing command-V.

The log contains a vast amount of information, almost all of it useless for solving any particular problem. When posting a log extract, be selective. A few dozen lines are almost always more than enough.

Please don't indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Please don't post screenshots of log messages—post the text.

Some private information, such as your name, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting.

When you post the log extract, you might see an error message on the web page: "You have included content in your post that is not permitted," or "The message contains invalid characters." That's a bug in the forum software. Please post the text on Pastebin, then post a link here to the page you created.

Aug 15, 2015 7:57 AM in response to Linc Davis

After App Store update to iTunes 12.2.2.25 and OSX 10.10.5 I started getting the spinning, hanging colorwheel ("iTunes Not Responding") for the first time since I bought this computer.

Here is the last error log (I have 6 more this morning if you need them):

=========================================================

Date/Time: 2015-08-15 10:25:41 -0400

OS Version: 10.10.5 (Build 14F27)

Architecture: x86_64

Report Version: 21

Command: iTunes

Path: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/MacOS/iTunes

Version: 12.2.2 (12.2.2.25)

Build Version: 2

Project Name: iTunes

Source Version: 1200012002002025

Parent: launchd [1]

PID: 830

Event: hang

Duration: 2.90s (process was unresponsive for 837 seconds before sampling)

Steps: 30 (100ms sampling interval)

Hardware model: Macmini6,1

Active cpus: 4

Fan speed: 1799 rpm

--------------------------------------------------

Timeline format: stacks are sorted chronologically

Use -i and -heavy to re-report with count sorting

--------------------------------------------------

Heaviest stack for the main thread of the target process:

30 ??? (iTunes + 9140) [0x1090143b4]

30 ??? (iTunes + 8820998) [0x10987b906]

30 -[NSApplication run] + 594 (AppKit + 551667) [0x7fff86e24af3]

30 -[NSApplication nextEventMatchingMask:untilDate:inMode:dequeue:] + 346 (AppKit + 593496) [0x7fff86e2ee58]

30 _DPSNextEvent + 978 (AppKit + 596139) [0x7fff86e2f8ab]

30 _BlockUntilNextEventMatchingListInModeWithFilter + 71 (HIToolbox + 205099) [0x7fff9011612b]

30 ReceiveNextEventCommon + 431 (HIToolbox + 205546) [0x7fff901162ea]

30 RunCurrentEventLoopInMode + 235 (HIToolbox + 206191) [0x7fff9011656f]

30 CFRunLoopRunSpecific + 296 (CoreFoundation + 465880) [0x7fff92672bd8]

30 __CFRunLoopRun + 927 (CoreFoundation + 467391) [0x7fff926731bf]

30 __CFRunLoopDoSources0 + 269 (CoreFoundation + 469901) [0x7fff92673b8d]

30 __CFRUNLOOP_IS_CALLING_OUT_TO_A_SOURCE0_PERFORM_FUNCTION__ + 17 (CoreFoundation + 526849) [0x7fff92681a01]

30 ??? (iTunes + 9554288) [0x10992e970]

30 ??? (iTunes + 9554090) [0x10992e8aa]

30 ??? (iTunes + 9551074) [0x10992dce2]

30 ??? (iTunes + 8671225) [0x109856ff9]

30 ??? (iTunes + 6978505) [0x1096b9bc9]

30 ??? (iTunes + 6977458) [0x1096b97b2]

30 ??? (iTunes + 6980951) [0x1096ba557]

30 mach_msg_trap + 10 (libsystem_kernel.dylib + 70878) [0x7fff8d7f14de]

*30 ipc_mqueue_receive_continue + 0 (kernel + 1144832) [0xffffff8000317800]

Process: iTunes [830]

Path: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/MacOS/iTunes

Architecture: x86_64

Parent: launchd [1]

UID: 501

Task size: 48198 pages (-435)

CPU Time: 0.016s

Note: Unresponsive for 837 seconds before sampling

Aug 15, 2015 12:04 PM in response to magwag72

I am having a similar, but different version of this problem. I'm on a MacBook Pro with OS X 10.10.5 (also just updated). The iTunes update is in an apparently unresovable cycle of downloading partially then wanting to restart the machine before the download is complete. When the [Restarting your Computer] message pops up (at, say, 254 of 929 MB), clicking on the Restart button (or waiting through the 1 minute countdown), takes me to another message that says [Available updates have changed / Click "Show Details" to see the available updates]. Then, when I click on "Show Details" it takes me right back to the App Store where it says 1 Update Available. Now, if I click the Update button it brings up the [Restarting your Computer] message again, and the cycle repeats. The only way to stop the cycle has been to restart the computer manually, but then I get another little red notification on the App Store icon and the whole process starts again.

On only one occasion of this cycle did anything significantly different occur: After the 60 second countdown, the computer did initiate a restart and it brought up an installation screen with a big X in the middle, but it also presented a message that said it might not be able to install iTunes because it may have been corrupted while downloading. I can't remember now what the response options were—seems like one might have been Ignore, or some such thing. Whatever they were, and however I responded, it continued whatever installation it was doing and restarted the computer. But even after that, it went right back to the same routine.

I'm out of ideas, plus, I'm a really basic/surface-level Mac user (mostly a PC person) and I know virtually nothing about the guts of these things.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated if they can be relayed in baby talk.

Thanks much.

Diane

Aug 15, 2015 12:23 PM in response to C in A

UPDATE:

6 hours into debugging...I'm concluding this update has been a catastrophically breaking change to iTunes.

DON'T UPDATE to iTunes 12.2.2!

iTunes hangs on application start every time after update. I had no issues at all, the entire first year and a half I've had this computer, until today.

I've resorted to two backup music players (Vox, VLC) that will let me play my library.

Aug 15, 2015 4:46 PM in response to C in A

UPDATE 2:

10.5 hours into debugging.

On a hunch I launched iTunes, poised my mouse over the spot on the screen where I was expecting the Sign-In menu to render, and quickly logged out of my Apple account in iTunes before the spinning color wheel indicated yet another application hang. The wheel never appeared again while I was logged out, and function in iTunes returned to normal.

I tried to log back into my Apple account through iTunes, however, and the application hung again (despite correctly displaying my name to indicate a "successful" login).

So, my workaround is to NOT log back into iTunes until they release another update; one which truly "includes improvements to overall stability and performance".

They jinxed themselves with that release note.

Aug 15, 2015 4:56 PM in response to C in A

I'm having the same trouble and I am fuming angry!! I'm in a new band and I can't play/learn songs when iTunes doesn't work.

I have been letting it run in the background and stats on the activity monitor are approximatly CPU% 100% +- 6%, CPU Time 3:48:51:69 and rising (even though it says Not Responding), Threads 25, Wakeups change from 0 up to 3

I have really had bad experiences with updates the last 2 to 3 years!

Aug 15, 2015 5:04 PM in response to C in A

As I said earlier, iTunes is busy updating things. Particularly if you have Apple Music or Match iTunes is comparing all your files with those in the Store and then uploading ones that are not there (possibly doing some conversion along the line). When you sign out iTunes the Store is no longer asking iTunes to do that and it stops, freeing up your computer to do other things.

Aug 27, 2015 11:05 AM in response to magwag72

This may very well be the single worst software update I have ever experienced anywhere.

Adding or deleting tracks to the library with Wi-Fi "on" is virtually impossible. The beach ball spins and spins and spins. Doing this with Wi-Fi "off" is an improvement, but it is nowhere near what it was previously. So, it is clear that this is not just a network issue, or a store connection issue. CPU usage is quite high in any event.

I have also tried all of the so-called "fixes" identified throughout these communities -- turning off various options under "parental controls," being the main one. That does not work at all. I also recreated the library files, to no apparent improvement.

These issues persist, even if the iCloud Music Library is not updating, even if Genius is not updating, even no updates of any kind are occurring. The spinning beach ball can occur at virtually any time while using iTunes, even after it already has been running for some time. Even clicking on a track can cause the spinning beach ball to rear its ugly visage.

One issue flagged previously is an abundance of playlists. I noticed recently that many playlists had been duplicated, triplicated or even worse. But they were duplicated, etc., with random tracks from the library strewn throughout with no apparent rhyme or reason. I deleted all duplicate playlists one night, only to see them all return about a week later. I deleted them again, and then deleted them from my iPhone. I am checking a couple of times a day to see if they are returning again. Only time will tell.

I absolutely dread using iTunes at this point.

Sep 6, 2015 9:40 AM in response to Jman25

Just wanted to log in and say that I had the exact same problem. I've been using iTunes since 2007 and it has never become this completely unusable/broken. If I open iTunes and click anything, the beach ball comes and you can't do anything. CPU is on 0.0 % so it's not updating anything. Apple Music doesn't work at all, meaning nothing will play period. So that's out.

This has never crossed my mind in 8 years, but I guess I'll need to look for alternatives. Someone said Vox is good? So maybe I'll just use that with Spotify, which has NEVER broken on me once.

Sep 7, 2015 11:01 AM in response to magwag72

I am having the same issue with the spinning ball and iTunes getting stuck. I tried to use TimeMachine to go back to the previous (red icon) version of iTunes but it won't let me do anything to iTunes, "because it is required by the OS."

This seems like the you-can't-go-back-to-previous-versions of iPhone software, which is destructive of the image of Apple products. I know people with old iOS devices that they've replace with other brands, because they can't make them work like the used to. It may seem nice for Apple to keep everyone moving forward, but it is very frustrating for users who can't return to a version that worked on their machine. It seems like a policy that will actually keep people from updating. I actually did not mean to update iTunes, I thought I was just updating RAW camera software at the time. Since last year I have been burned too often by updates to trust them anymore. And the can't-go-back policy makes me wonder if I will ever update again. Yes I have an older machine and it worked great with the previous versions of software, which is a testimony to how well thought out the integration used to be.

I am trying the solution of being logged out, to see if I can salvage this version of iTunes.

Sep 11, 2015 8:40 AM in response to magwag72

I restored from an iTunes (12.2.2) backup earlier as part upgrading iOS using the suggested password, presumably taken from Keychain Access -that worked fine.

However... I can't turn off encryption, even using the same suggested password and trying every other password in the Keychain history for backups.

Does anyone know if there's a length limit that's < 22 characters? Or a known bog/workaround?

Any ideas much appreciated as a reset and reload is not a cheerful thought.

anybody else having iTunes issues since 12.2.2 update? very unresponsive and I get the rainbow spinning wheel after click. Tried restarting and the issues still persists? Any ideas? Running an iMac with 10.10.5 which was just installed as well.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.