Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to stop iTunes from opening up on Windows startup?

I've already gone into msconfig and disabled it there. I even used the CCleaner program to make sure it wasn't still enabled in there, yet every time I boot up Windows, iTunes opens. Anyway to stop this aside from uninstalling it?

Running: Windows 10 with iTunes 12.2.2.25 (This happened on my Windows 7 as well)

Posted on Aug 15, 2015 8:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2015 9:52 AM

Are you running Plex or Python by chance?

I also was having the same issue and it was driving me bonkers. Turning on the option Share iTunes Library XML with other applications fixed the issue on my end.

http://superuser.com/questions/948157/itunes-starts-automatically-at-startup-on- windows-10

"The generation of the XML is now optional in iTunes 12.2 - check Preferences > Advanced and set the option Share iTunes Library XML with other applications.In order to fix it, simply turn the option Share iTunes Library XML with other applications on."

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 23, 2015 9:52 AM in response to helvetiica

Are you running Plex or Python by chance?

I also was having the same issue and it was driving me bonkers. Turning on the option Share iTunes Library XML with other applications fixed the issue on my end.

http://superuser.com/questions/948157/itunes-starts-automatically-at-startup-on- windows-10

"The generation of the XML is now optional in iTunes 12.2 - check Preferences > Advanced and set the option Share iTunes Library XML with other applications.In order to fix it, simply turn the option Share iTunes Library XML with other applications on."

Aug 23, 2015 11:20 AM in response to helvetiica

I wonder the same, ultimately glad it's fixed as it was very annoying. Figured apple would be smarter and just have the box checked as a default right?

From apple: "iTunes Library.xml contains some (but not all) of the same information stored in the iTunes Library file. The purpose of the iTunes Library.xml file is to make your music and playlists available to other applications on your computer. If you delete the file, iTunes creates a new copy from the iTunes Library file."

How to stop iTunes from opening up on Windows startup?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.