Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air won't recognise Verbatim hard drive

Hi

I wonder if someone can help. I just bought my first Mac and have tried to use my trusty Verbatim external hard drive in it but it isn't showing up at all on the Mac. The light on the Verbatim comes on, but the Mac doesn't recognise that it is there at all.

I've reformatted the Verbatim so it is FAT32 and I've tried 'repair disk permissions' but its still not working.

Can anyone help? My smaller USB sticks work without a problem.

Many thanks

Alice

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite

Posted on Aug 15, 2015 9:57 AM

3 replies

Aug 17, 2015 9:03 AM in response to alice_pw

Hi alice_pw,

Congratulations on your first Mac purchase! I'll include some "Getting Started" resources for you below. If you have already reformatted your Verbatim hard drive, that means you erased its contents. Did you have a backup of the information on the drive? Is your intention to start with a "clean" external drive to use as your backup drive for the new Mac? The software we use for this automatic backup is called Time Machine.

In order for the Mac to work with the external drive, it needs to be formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Follow the steps in the article below. The steps for formatting are the same regardless of the application used.

Format external drives to Mac OS Extended before using with Aperture - Apple Support
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201909

Mac Basics: Time Machine backs up your Mac - Apple Support
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201250

Switch Basics: Moving from Windows Explorer to the Finder - Apple Support
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201748

Switch Basics: On Windows, I used to... - Apple Support
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204216

Cheers!

Aug 18, 2015 2:06 AM in response to judysings

Thanks Judysings

I appreciate your reply, I'm sure the links will come in useful for learning about the Mac.

However, I'm still having problems with the hard drive. The problem is I insert it and it just doesn't show up in finder - so I can't format as per the first link. It works perfectly fine on other computers, I just have a problem on the Mac. I have backed up the data on the hard drive so that's not a problem, I just need the Mac to recognise it so I can transfer some data from another computer.

Thanks

Alice

Aug 18, 2015 6:43 AM in response to alice_pw

Hi alice_pw,

If you only have a few files to copy to your new Mac, and the Verbatim drive will not mount, your best bet is to try with a different USB external drive. If you want to copy all of the information from your Windows PC to your Mac, the best way to do that is with an application called Migration Assistant. I've highlighted some key information below for you. Click on the link for complete details.

About Windows Migration Assistant - Apple Support
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204087

Learn about how to use Windows Migration Assistant to migrate your files from a Windows PC to a Mac.

Use Windows Migration Assistant to migrate your files from your old Microsoft Windows-based PC to your Mac running OS X Mountain Lion or OS X Lion. Migration Assistant automatically transfers your contacts, calendars, and email accounts and more, and puts them in the appropriate applications.

Before you begin the transfer process

• To avoid interrupting the migration process, disable automatic installation of updates in Windows.
  • Disable any anti-virus software on the PC. Such software may incorrectly identify the Windows Migration Assistant process as suspicious and interfere with it.
  • Disable any firewall software on the PC. Firewall software may block needed ports for Windows Migration Assistant to run.
  • Run the check disk utility (such as chkdsk) on the PC to make sure it is free of any issues.

Tip: Select Start > Run… type "cmd" and press Enter. Type "chkdsk" into the command window and press Enter. If the check disk utility reports that it "found problems", enter "chkdsk /F" press Enter. Press "Y" then restart the PC. Repeat this process until the check disk utility reports no issues. If an issue persists after a few repair cycles, you should get the PC serviced before migrating your data to the Mac.

• Make sure you know the name and password of an administrator account. The first account created on the Mac is an administrator account.
  • Make sure that both the Windows PC and the Mac are on the same network, such as your home network. These are the preferred network connections, in order:

Use a CAT6-certified Ethernet cable that is in good condition to connect the Ethernet port of the PC directly to the Ethernet port of the Mac or Ethernet adaptor (USB or Thunderbolt).

Use Migration Assistant after your Mac has started up

If you've already gone through the Setup Assistant process, you can use Migration Assistant at any time to transfer data from a PC to a new user account on your Mac.

1. On the Mac, open the Migration Assistant located in the Utilities folder. To open it: In Finder, choose Go > Utilities, or press Shift–Command–U (⇧⌘U). Double-click Migration Assistant.
  2. Select the "From another Mac, PC, Time Machine backup, or other disk" option then click "Continue".

User uploaded file

1. When prompted, enter an administrator name and password.
  2. Select the "From another Mac or PC" migration method then click "Continue" to proceed.

User uploaded file

1. When prompted, click Continue to quit other applications. Other applications can't be open on the Mac during the migration process.
  2. Select the PC, then wait for the PC to show the passcode displayed on the Mac.

User uploaded file

On the PC, once you see the passcode displayed on the Mac, click "Continue" to proceed.

User uploaded file

1. The Mac will then begin to inspect your computer and build a list of information to migrate.
  2. Select the information you would like to migrate to the Mac, then click Continue to proceed.

User uploaded file

On both the Windows PC and Mac you will see a progress bar, messaging of what is being migrated and estimated time remaining. Once completed, you can log into the user account created.

Note: At your first login on the Mac you will see your account name. Press the Return key and you'll be prompted to reset your password. See Choosing good passwords in OS X for information about how to choose a good password.

Last Modified: Jun 23, 2015

Take care,

MacBook Air won't recognise Verbatim hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.