Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Clean install error: An error occurred while extracting files from the package "AdditionalSpeechVoices.pkg"

Hi,

This is the chronology of what went wrong: (MacBook Pro, Retina, 15-Inch, 16GB Ram) :

1. OS X 10.10.5 Update installation failed; after finishing and prompting me to restart, the computer failed to start shutting-down when the Apple progress bar was about to reach the end.

2. Computer failed to start each time, turning off by itself mid-progress.

3. Tried starting it in Safe-mode... didn't work (various times, it kept turning off)

4. Started on terminal, ran -fsck; got an error message prompting me to backup and format the HDD (several times)

5. Started in recovery mode, ran Disk Utility Disk Repair, same error message (Made several attempts)

6. I backed up my data using my desktop in Target Mode

7. Ran Disk recovery and attempted to make a clean install... (I made several attempts, but it stalled after almost 2, 3 hours downloading additional files; left it overnight... didn't work).

8. I decided to make a clean Install, booting from an SD card. I formatted the card (Mac OS Extended Journaled), then I created a partition ('Untitled') with a GUID partition table. I downloaded a stand alone version of OS X 10.10.5, and via terminal I made it bootable entering:

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app --nointeraction

9. Plugged-in the card, restarted my MacBook Pro, the now bootable SD Card worked and I started installation... after several attempts, I am getting the following error message: An error occurred while extracting files from the package "AdditionalSpeechVoices.pkg"

I have no idea what is going on... Please help, any ideas?

Pablo

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10), Numbers 3.5

Posted on Aug 15, 2015 12:28 PM

3 replies

Aug 27, 2015 9:12 AM in response to olbap

Thank you for your answer baltwo, I still don't know what is wrong, called Apple and after doing everything they suggested over the phone, the same problem or a variation of it, kept going on, so I was told by them to take it in. It seems there is something wrong with the HDD, or at least that is what they think. I am still waiting to hear from them.

Thanks again, I will post back when I hear back from them.

Clean install error: An error occurred while extracting files from the package "AdditionalSpeechVoices.pkg"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.