Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Manual moves required between flash and hard drives?

So stunned by a tech call I just made with Apple. Online info on the fusion drive in my Late 2012 Mac Mini says "Presented as a single volume on your Mac, Fusion Drive automatically and dynamically moves frequently used files to Flash storage for quicker access, while infrequently used items move to the hard disk." But acc. to tech person, I must move things myself. True according to your experience, fellow Mac Mini (Late 2012) users?

Mac mini (Late 2012), Yosemite 10.10.3

Posted on Aug 15, 2015 3:25 PM

10 replies

Aug 15, 2015 7:32 PM in response to Linc Davis

I'm grateful to hear this response, which suggests that the research I did before buying in the first place was about something real. I just went to sleep at the switch afterward, I suppose, not realizing it wasn't working.

What I bought in 2012:

With the following configuration:

Processor 065-C0H7 2.6GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

Memory 065-C0HD 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB

Hard Drive 065-C0X6 1TB Fusion Drive

Remote 065-C0HV No Remote

PAGES 065-C0VT Pages preinstalled

NUMBERS 065-C13F No Numbers Preinstalled

KEYNOTE 065-C13G No Keynote Preinstalled

User's Guide 065-C0J2 USER'S GUIDE

So I thought I had a fusion drive.

But I had a hard drive failure about three months after buying the Mini, and a drive was replaced at the local Apple store. I wonder if that changed things.

Now (after 2.75 years of use) I see this: (And the Apple Tech saw it too, remotely.)

User uploaded file

I created a system early on to store photos on an external hard drive, with a second external hard drive as a backup. I wasn't smart enough to start wondering about "startup disk is full" messages the first time I got them, probably 8 months ago. Several times I've cleared away enough to keep going within the 120 GB flash, not realizing what was happening.

I have this (1) sinking feeling that I'm stuck with moving stuff manually, for whatever reason, but on the other hand I also have a (2) whopping hard drive that's virtually empty.

Any thought that there is any way to get this fusion drive to work as originally intended, or just proceed with workaround?

Aug 15, 2015 7:39 PM in response to rrwriter

You need at least two complete, independent backups of all data before proceeding. There are ways to back up a computer that isn't fully functional. Ask if you need guidance.

Repair the Fusion Drive (see under "Troubleshooting" on the linked page.)

Quit Disk Utility. You should then be able to install OS X and restore your data from a backup in the main screen.

Aug 16, 2015 6:31 PM in response to Linc Davis

Yes, I need guidance on the two complete independent backups.

I presently have CrashPlan, though I confess I have simply hoped it was doing its job. I've never test it or relied on it. It's set for weekly backups, and completed the last one 4.8 days ago. Not sure that's one of the trusted sources.

I have not used Time Machine on this machine, but of course I could. I have external hard drives I could use.

That said, I definitely need that guidance.

Thank you.

Aug 18, 2015 7:51 AM in response to Linc Davis

Thank you.

I have now used Time Machine to make complete backups to two different external hard drives. Should I be concerned about accuracy of the backups? If so, is there any way to learn whether the backups are good ones before I proceed?

By "proceed" I'm intending to follow this helpful guidance you gave earlier:

You need at least two complete, independent backups of all data before proceeding. There are ways to back up a computer that isn't fully functional. Ask if you need guidance.

Repair the Fusion Drive (see under "Troubleshooting" on the linked page.)

Quit Disk Utility. You should then be able to install OS X and restore your data from a backup in the main screen.

Gratitude to you.

Aug 20, 2015 5:41 PM in response to Linc Davis

Report - in case it's helpful to others.

I went through this process, most likely without fixing the problem. Item 6 in the instructions for repairing a Fusion drive says:

"If your Fusion Drive can be fixed with Disk Utility, you'll see a Disk icon with red lettering. Click the disk icon."

I never saw that Disk Icon, and no red lettering, so I suppose my fusion drive could not be repaired.

I let the process run. I tried to make a choice about using the Internal Hard Drive (instead of Flash) for installing the operating system, but that clearly did not work. I think I'm back where I was, only with a lot of things to relocate and re-install. Still, I am glad I gave it a try, so now I can at least assume I know how I have to use the system I have -- manual moves.

User uploaded file

I'm novice enough to be surprised that the OSX version the Disk Utility installs is Mountain Lion, when I had been running Yosemite, so there was that update to complete. The good news is that data seems in place. The bad news, of course, is just the effort of reinstalling, reconnecting to online services and so on.

I appreciate your help, Linc Davis.

Aug 26, 2015 7:18 AM in response to Linc Davis

I think I'll stop where I am, as in the tech world I am like a cook who must follow recipes to the letter. In a procedure with this many steps, I know I would encounter choices and decisions that would be common knowledge among people who live in the tech world, but I might not even recognize I was making one choice over the other. I can live with my situation. I am deeply grateful for the guidance and kindness you have offered, Linc Davis.

Manual moves required between flash and hard drives?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.