You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

m audio keystation pro 88 Yosemite problem

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)

2.5 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Logic Pro 10

M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 showing up in Audio MIDI Setup but not triggering software instruments in Logic. Any suggestions?

Posted on Aug 16, 2015 4:28 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2015 5:51 AM

Hi Don,

It worked with the previous OS (which was?) on the same hardware?

Is the keyboard powered by the USB bus? It's possible it's not getting all the power it requires, USB 3 and the new Mac OS are not fully powering several older USB devices. (even though it's being recognized). A solution that works for some is a Powered USB 2.0 hub between the computer and keyboard.

If you don't have one perhaps you can borrow one to try out as there no absolute guarantee it's going to work properly.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 16, 2015 5:51 AM in response to Don Yallech

Hi Don,

It worked with the previous OS (which was?) on the same hardware?

Is the keyboard powered by the USB bus? It's possible it's not getting all the power it requires, USB 3 and the new Mac OS are not fully powering several older USB devices. (even though it's being recognized). A solution that works for some is a Powered USB 2.0 hub between the computer and keyboard.

If you don't have one perhaps you can borrow one to try out as there no absolute guarantee it's going to work properly.

Aug 16, 2015 9:18 AM in response to Pancenter

Hi Pancenter, Thanks for the response and fix. Duh, I should have thought of trying a USB hub. That did the trick.

The previous OS that it still works with (sans hub) is 10.9.5 on a 2009 MacBook Pro. (Also worked this way on a 2001 Ti-book)

Yes, the Keystation 88 is powered by the bus on the older machines and not the newer one running Yosemite. Kind of surprises me; not as elegant.

None-the-less, thank you, I am now able to play the 88 with new machine.

Cheers, this was bugging me,

Don

Aug 16, 2015 10:42 AM in response to Don Yallech

Don Yallech wrote:

Yes, the Keystation 88 is powered by the bus on the older machines and not the newer one running Yosemite. Kind of surprises me; not as elegant.None-the-less, thank you, I am now able to play the 88 with new machine.

Cheers, this was bugging me,

Don

Not sure of the reason but many products are not getting enough current on the USB-3 bus to fully activate all of the electronics, the keyboard is recognized by the OS but is non-functional. Theoretically USB is supposed to be able to supply more current, for whatever reason, that's not happening.

m audio keystation pro 88 Yosemite problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.