Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CACHE_MANAGER error on Windows 10

I'm upgrading to Windows 10 from 8.1, bootcamp V5.0.4 on a Macbook Air 13" mid 2012.

In Windows 10, I'm getting a blue screen withe CACHE_MANAGER error after installing the latest support Bootcamp software from Apple.

What can I do? Repeated restarts do not help as the blue screen comes up 10-30s everytime after I'm logged onto Windows.

MacBook Air, Windows 8, Bootcamp Windows 10

Posted on Aug 16, 2015 4:11 AM

12 replies

Aug 20, 2015 1:55 PM in response to opdrachter

I have this issue too. I thought perhaps it was my Parallels VM causing the issue. Are you using Parallels?

My VM of the bootcamp install works fine except for not being validated, another issue for another thread. As you note when I log directly into my Windows 10 bootcamp, it crashes 10 seconds or so afterwards. Cache_Manager every time is noted on the BSOD.

I managed to fix for a short time at least by booting into windows in safe mode. Reboot after that was fine but now again a day later, same problem is back.

Aug 23, 2015 7:13 AM in response to RobIdaho

Hi

Update on above. For me it seems there is a problem with a WD Thunderbolt Duo drive. Once I unplugged that, stable performance. No crashing, for extended period and counting. Thunderbolt ports still work as I use a Belkin Thunderbolt 2 dock and drive a second monitor and an Ethernet connection so not the Thunderbolt port driver itself but perhaps the WD but that works fine in OS X so next search for issue...

Not sure what your setup is, but first of all try your macbook unplugged and then work through adding back any external connections one by one.

Hope this helps.

Rob

Nov 19, 2015 7:39 AM in response to opdrachter

I wanted to share that I was able to overcome this problem on my machine with help from this post: http://www.flipswitchingmonkey.com/2015/10/windows-10-on-apple-cache_manager-blu e-screen/

Basically, my problem (and hopefully yours!) is the HFS driver installed by boot camp that enables windows to view your OSX partition (assuming it's HFS+). If you are already screwed like I was, and windows crashes before you can do anything meaningful, do the following:

• Go to the Recovery Console (there's probably a better way to do this, but using F8 just got stuck at the windows logo for me)
    • Power on your machine
    • As soon as you see the spinning circle under the windows logo, power off the machine
    • Do this as many times as you need, until you see "Preparing Automatic Repair"
    • I don't remember what the next screen said, but it only had two options. I think one said restore, but the other option says cancel. Click cancel.
    • On the following screens, click Troubleshoot, followed by Advanced Options, followed by Command Prompt
  • Once you get into the command prompt, do the following
    • It will start you off in a temporary recovery filesystem (mine was X:\). Change to your system drive by entering "C:" (or whatever your drive letter is)
    • Enter the following: "ren c:\windows\system32\drivers\AppleHFS.sys AppleHFS.sys.BAK"
    • Enter exit, and follow the prompts to continue on to Windows.

If you aren't already screwed (fresh install, or you already removed the drivers somehow), it is much easier:

• Run the boot camp installer
  • Say NO when you are prompted to reboot
  • Open windows explorer, navigate to c:\windows\system32\drivers
  • Rename AppleHFS.sys to AppleHFS.sys.bak
  • Reboot

A few other random notes on my boot camp install experience

• I was unable to download the boot camp 6 drivers for my machine directly. I have no idea what the deal is, but it seems like apple has some weird cutoff with mid 2012 MBP's and boot camp. That said, they are available. I think if I installed 5.x then it would have shown up in Apple Software Update, however I was getting these crashes and assumed it had something to do with the 5.x drivers, so I went to the trouble of trying to find boot camp 6 drivers. I found some direct download links that users had posted, but apparently there are different packages for different machines, and those links didn't have any way to tell if they were for my machine, so I avoided them. Instead, I used an open source tool (https://github.com/timsutton/brigadier) to download and build the files on OSX.
    • In OSX, download/unzip the following file: https://github.com/timsutton/brigadier/archive/master.zip
    • Open terminal, navigate to the extracted directory, and run "python brigadier"
    • It will take a while, but when it is done, it should have output a dmg into a Bootcamp-XXXX subdirectory.
    • Mount that dmg and copy the files onto a thumbdrive
    • On windows, you can run "BootCamp\Setup.exe"
  • Every time I ran the boot camp installer, it would hang at the Realtek installation. To fix this, simply open task manager and kill the realtek installer process, and the boot camp installer will continue. I don't have a Realtek sound card or anything on my machine, so I didn't do this, but if you need to you can run the installer manually by running "BootCamp\Drivers\RealTek\RealTekSetup.exe"

Nov 22, 2015 7:29 AM in response to ldhertert

Thank you ldhertert

It solved my problem regarding the cache manager, which bothered me for two months! 😟

However, after successfully logged into windows 10, the boot camp application continuously took 30% CPU and the response of several functional keys was delayed. I was wondering that what is next step to fix this problem though... hope anyone can provide me the information. thank you very much!🙂

CACHE_MANAGER error on Windows 10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.