Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Graphics corruption after sleep

Im running windows 10 Pro on my Mid 2013 MacBook Air 13". Did a clean install 2 days ago with the latest bootcamp drivers and i have a problem it seems with the latest Intel HD 5000 drivers.

After coming back from sleep (lid closed), it seems as there is some graphics corruption going on. Opening Firefox or startmenu or similar things, i get black borders/squares++ random graphic corruption.

If i just "keep at it" for a couple of minutes, things stabilise to normal and works without this corruption.

Im currently using driver: 10.18.15.4256 (the latest). Is there a driver bug that is causing this? Some setting i could use?

There is absolutely no problem coming back from sleep in OSX 10.10.5 tho, so that rules out any hardware problems afaik.

C

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Aug 16, 2015 3:12 AM

20 replies

Aug 16, 2015 2:06 PM in response to Cybmax

Well, it seems as the 4240 driver (previous) driver is somewhat better with the bugging coming out of sleep... However, even tho i have disabled automatic driver updates, uninstalled the 4256 driver, ran some "tweak util" from M$ to try to uncheck the updated and whatnot, i cant prevent the driver from automatically installing again.

Any hints?

C

Aug 17, 2015 10:19 PM in response to Loner T

So the "Remove files" option when you choose to uninstall a driver is not working as intended you mean? Is that a windows 10 specific issue then?

I uninstall the driver using the "Remove files" option, and then install the 4240 drivers from the BootCamp folder, and it works until either i check for "windows updates" manually, or windows does it by itself. On my desktop computer i have a AMD gfx card, and use the "Display Driver Uninstaller" (DDU) program from safe mode to uninstall drivers when i switch... but that is because the regular "remove files" option in windows does not remove everything. Afaik the intel drivers does not have any more "magic" uninstaller than any other driver, so doing it from safe mode or not is not that important cos any remnant files or registry settings require manual tweaking anyway. It seems to me that windows 10 is more prone to "forcing" you to update.. Its the same with regular updates aswell, you can't just ignore the updates without ticking an extra option... and even then you cant do it forever.

Anyway.. it seems as the problem is also there if just the display goes to sleep. If i set the screen to sleep after eg. 5 minutes, waking it up causes this glitching. It takes a minute or two and it works again... Perhaps some sort of memory bug? Guess the Intel HD 5000 uses shared memory, and it takes time to fill the memory after sleep again perhaps? The problem is not as big with 4240 driver as it is with the 4256 version.. DirectX hardware supported version of 4240 is 11, while the 4256 driver stating 11.1.

C

Sep 5, 2015 4:29 AM in response to Cybmax

Anyone running Windows 10 on their Macbook Air mid 2013?

To clarify the problem: When the computer goes to sleep with closing the lid, and later opening it so it resumes (normal sleep, not hibernate). I have some graphics corruption, especially using Firefox browser. However, if i wait a couple of minutes after resuming from sleep things go back to normal.

I seem to have another problem aswell, but its not related to sleep. Its the OSD volume control (if i use the keyboard to control the volume), as it seems to "stick" on-screen. Rebooting removes it, but somewhat tiresome.

Perhaps not too many bother running Windows 10 on their mac's 🙂

C

Dec 16, 2015 1:24 PM in response to Cybmax

Hi, I have the exact same issue... Macbook air 13" early 2014, just updated to Win10 on Bootcamp and everytime the computer goes to sleep and I wake it up it will show black squares/rectangles on Chrome and when I click all menus (start menu, notifications menu, wifi, battery, etc) they display in an akward way (glitches), only showing parts of them, I have to move the mouse over them to "uncover" the menu contents/text that are somewhat hidden... after a couple of minutes it all goes back to normal, very frustrating. did you find any solution????, I have tried updating the Intel 5000 drivers and deactivating the pnp monitor, I also found a chrome forum where many people seem to have the same "black rectangles" issue with the last chrome update ... I'm not sure if the issue is related or not. Hope anyone can help...

Thanks.

Dec 17, 2015 3:50 AM in response to Loner T

Hi,

nope, it happens only in Windows using bootcamp and particularly in chrome... even firefox works well, OSX has no issues AT ALL, everything works smoothly, I also did a hardware check on OSX and it reported everything is OK. At the begining I thought it was just an issue with Chrome BUT there's also the windows general menus which display akwardly too (glitchy), after a couple of minutes though it ALL goes back to normal (windows menus and chrome). Oh yeah and I forgot to mention that in my case this also happens after I start the computer, not only after waking it up, it's as though it needed to "warm-up" the graphics everytime it starts or wakes.

No idea what it could be, anyway, thanks for any possible help!

Graphics corruption after sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.