Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Playing iTunes music directly from external hard drive

I know that you can copy your iTunes music folder over to an external hard drive for backup / restore purposes.....however, can you open iTunes on your computer and have it play the music from the external hard drive itself instead of storing the music on the computer hard drive? Also, when you move the music folder to external hard drive, does it keep the album artwork that was added to the information when the music CD was imported?

Reason I'm asking is that I have close to 80 gigs of music on my computer now and I now only have 10% free space which isn't much....I'd like to remove the music completely from the computer hard drive to free up space and play from the external hard drive (which has 2TB of space).

I have a HP Pavillion dv9000 laptop that is currently running Windows Vista has been partioned into three drives - C drive has all my applications and operating system (10 gb free of 86.5 gb); D drive has all my DATA files (saved files, documents, music, and such) (10 gb free of 93.1 gb), and the E drive is strictly for HP Recovery (which I can't touch) (634 mb free of 6.59 gb).

Processor is Intel Core 2 CPU 1.67 GHz / 32-bit OS / 2046 RAM Memory

I plan to update to Windows 10 shortly and need to find out the above to see if this can be a viable solution.

Your assistance in this is appreciated.

Windows Vista

Posted on Aug 16, 2015 6:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2015 6:53 AM

See Make a split library portable.

tt2

10 replies

Aug 26, 2015 6:32 PM in response to turingtest2

I have a follow on question to this thread. I have successfully (I think) copied my iTunes Media folder to an external hard drive. I have also launched iTunes with the shift key depressed (I'm running Windows 7) and selected the external hard drive. The music plays. Is it safe to delete the iTunes Media folder on the hard drive? I am planning to upgrade to Windows 10, and I need to free up some hard drive space.

I also have iCloud, iTunes Match, and Apple Music. I don't think I'm at risk of losing anything, but based on prior negative Windows experience, I want to make sure I won't lose anything!

Before I copied the files to the external hard drive, I consolidated my iTunes Library and followed the "Back Up your iTunes library by copying it to an external drive" protocol.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Aug 27, 2015 10:25 AM in response to mallocup13

The method I use to ensure I have a ready to use backup of my library is shown in Backup your iTunes for Windows library with SyncToy. I've not used Carbonite but one handy feature of the way I do it over a fully automatic system is that I get to review the updates to the backup set that are about to be made, so I have the chance to spot when something unwanted is about to happen. I've heard of automatic systems copying over changes before people realise the is a problem they want to recover from.

tt2

Playing iTunes music directly from external hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.