Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ad-type.google.com virus

I recently bought Iphone 6 and ipad NEVER connected to my laptop and just in one day it is infected with this ad-type.google virus. I am clueless how could that happen. Can it spread through just Wifi ??? Any site redirects automatically to the URL starting from ad-type.google.com and then redirecting to Total Ad Performance.com etc etc. Its blocking my usage to the websites. I had tried all the antivirus, anti malware applications from net but nothing is working on this virus. Please suggest me what to do now my apple products are also infected.

Regards

Ashish

iPhone 6, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Aug 16, 2015 8:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2015 8:23 AM

Go to Settings>>Safari>>Clear history and website data. If that doesn't work, you probably have a hacked router. The only way to get a virus on an iPhone/iPod/iPad is to jailbreak it.

14 replies

Aug 16, 2015 8:25 AM in response to ashishrawat12

You do not have a virus at all unless you jailbroke your phone and I am sure you did not do that. What you have is a phishing cookie in your browser. To be on the safe side do this:

Close Safari completely from the multitasking window by double clicking the Home button and swiping up the Safari preview window all the way up until it disappears. Then go to Settings > Safari > Clear History and Website Data. After that do a hard reboot. Hold down the Home and Wake/Sleep buttons at the same time for about 15-20 seconds until the Apple logo appears. Ignore the "Slide to power off" text if it comes up. You will not loose anything.

Aug 21, 2015 8:11 AM in response to ashishrawat12

What you are describing sounds like a wireless network hack, since it is affecting multiple devices. Unless you have jailbroken both devices, or installed some malicious app with enterprise provisioning from a website on both devices, your iOS devices aren't infected with malware or adware.

For more information on solving a compromised network problem, see:

How can I troubleshoot my wireless router or modem with my Mac?

(Fair disclosure: I am affiliated with Malwarebytes, whose site I am linking to above.)

Aug 26, 2015 3:43 AM in response to Arshad Bangalore

Hi

Tried this and like you say it works. However you cannot use any websites full functionality. For example you cannot use the search function on a website, I am convinced that it is either the 8.4.1 download ( this has started happening after that) or like said in one of the above posts my modem has been hacked. Have to check that angle.

Aug 26, 2015 4:18 AM in response to venkata ramanan

It is not the 8.4.1 download it is a browser hijack you picked up from a site you visited. If you read through here it happens on iOS devices running various versions and it happens on Macs running OS X. If you follow directions given above to clear everything from Safari then double-click and close Safari it will be gone, even with javascript on. If it comes back either your router is infected or you are returning to the same website(s) that have been hacked and picking it up again. Contact that website.

Aug 30, 2015 10:37 AM in response to ashishrawat12

This is the Solution..Call up your internet provider and ask them to change your DNS server setting... mine is airtel and they put me into some wrong dns server...the call center lady quickly realized that when i told her my problem...she rebooted my server setting from back end... and now its resolved (hope so)... recently i changed my airtel plan and may be because of that some one put me on wrong dns id which is not meant for consumers..Hope this will help.

Sep 5, 2015 12:19 AM in response to ashishrawat12

i have posted this solution in other forum too and it has worked for them too... It's the problem of service provider not with our gadgets. mine is working fine post that change in DNS server from backend.. Even others have done the same... I am on Airtel so they knew this problem already .. May be some customer service rep is new but talk to their senior I am sure it will work for you also..

ad-type.google.com virus

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.