Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is it taking so long to download OS X 10.10.5 on my mac...it has been 3 days now!?

Why is it taking so long to download OS X 10.10.5 on my iMac-(24-inch, Early 2009) (memory: 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3-Precessor: 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo-...it has been 3 days (off and on) now!?

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Aug 16, 2015 9:27 AM

7 replies

Aug 16, 2015 11:54 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Nope...it is not done. I have been installing this since 8/14/15...3 days. In that time have have restarted numerous times daily. Right not my progress bar reads 617 mb of 929. It does give me a list each day of what has been downloaded. My iMac is a good 6 years old...I wonder if that is the reason. Purchased in 2009 when it came with the new pentium...but maybe isn't up to speed with the newer speeds?

Aug 16, 2015 12:52 PM in response to meandmic

Age should not matter, reset your router and modem. However the computer should have been in excellent shape to download and have a minimum of 4GB of RAM installed. Then attempt to start in the Recovery Partition (Command + R) on startup, select Disk Utility and run Repair Disk. If errors show up after the 2-3rd pass your HD is damaged and needs to be replaced.

If the HD is okay, then exit Disk Utility and Install OS X from the Recovery Partition.

Please post back with the results.

Aug 16, 2015 4:08 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Well I ran DU yesterday, and then again today after I got your response. There were minimal issues that got repaired. I am starting to think it is my modem. I don't think it is fully compatible with Apple product and it's from my provider...they tend to be more pc microsoft based. My mac has not had its speed capacity since I switched to this internet provider. It is making progress and it did this the last time I upgraded OS X but did not take this long...however it did eventually finish. Progress bar is at 669 MB of 815 MB now. I will just stick it out and see if it completes.

I will let you know how that goes.

Thank you so much for being so attentive. I am pretty sure my HD is good :-).

Aug 16, 2015 4:45 PM in response to rkaufmann87

I have an apple router...it's the Century Link modem that concerns me. I know it is not pc based but it does "read" or transfer differently. When I did have my my NetGear modem...even though it was old it seemed to work better. I think I need to change my modem. However, it is pretty much protocol for me to reboot both my router and modem when having speed issues as well as calling and confirming speed capacity with my provider. So troubleshooting this whole situation has brought me to that conclusion. Sometimes the progress bar will revert back to the beginning then I reboot/restart and it goes back the the previous status. Weird!

Why is it taking so long to download OS X 10.10.5 on my mac...it has been 3 days now!?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.