Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

restore ppc from time machine on guid external

hi everyone. ive switched to MAC after 17 years as a windows guy and 14 yeasr as a PC tech. YAY!!!

I have an external 1 tb hard drive.

I also have 1 intel MBP [running snow leopard] and 2 PPC ibooks [running leopard]

i formatted the external with GUID and set 3 partitions. one for each laptop.

i used time machine on the MBP and backed up to one partition

i used time machine on the ibook and backed up to the others.

can i used this drive formatted in GUID if i have to restore one of the ibooks from time machine back up? both ibooks saw all the partitons and did as i asked.

Thanx in advance.

I LOVE MY MAC

iBook, Mac OS X (10.5.4)

Posted on Aug 16, 2015 12:09 PM

9 replies

Aug 19, 2015 12:16 AM in response to Drew Reece

Drew Reece wrote:

I think 10.4.something added the ability for PowerPC to read GUID disks. So long as you are past that version it should be OK.

I think it was 10.4.4, but it was a while ago now 🙂

No. A PowerPC Mac cannot install nor boot from a GUID partition.

"You cannot install Mac OS X on this volume..." alert in Installer - Apple Support

• A PowerPC-based Mac can only install Mac OS X on a disk with the "Apple_partition_scheme."
  • An Intel-based Mac can only install Mac OS X on a disk with the "GUID_partition_scheme."

Aug 19, 2015 6:54 AM in response to Ronda Wilson

Ronda Wilson wrote:

Drew Reece wrote:

I think 10.4.something added the ability for PowerPC to read GUID disks. So long as you are past that version it should be OK.

I think it was 10.4.4, but it was a while ago now 🙂

No. A PowerPC Mac cannot install nor boot from a GUID partition.

If you are going to be pedantic you may need to read what I actually wrote, not what you think I wrote.

'Install nor boot' are not the same as 'read'.

restore ppc from time machine on guid external

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.