Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk is full but, I have nothing on my laptop?!

I keep getting startup disk full messages and I cleaned about 4GB off my laptop, but for some reason i have 118GB of other?!?!?! What is other? I have 5 movies, 1 backup, 100 itunes songs, and around 60 photos, and only 4 applications (each application takes about 2GB) Thats only around 30GB right there. (I removed all of my mail, I had 4300 emails, gave me about 400MB from removing them) Yet everything else on my laptop, has to be on it, it came with it. So I still don't get why I have so much GB taken up in the "Other" section yet I have nothing on my laptop. Is there something I'm not doing correct? (And yes I emptied the trash for everything I deleted) Or is there just something wrong with my laptop?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Aug 16, 2015 1:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply
2 replies

Aug 16, 2015 1:26 PM in response to johnnyd223344

Compare the figure In About this Mac to the one listed in Finder, use 'Go > Computer', select your startup disk, 'File > Get Info…'

Do the free space figures match up at all?

The view in 'About this Mac' uses the Spotlight index to calculate the totals, sometimes that can be wrong.

You can try rebuilding the index if the figures are incorrect, it can take many hours to index large disks.

Spotlight: How to re-index folders or volumes - Apple Support

It seems likely that you need to use Illaass's links to clean up some files too.

Disk is full but, I have nothing on my laptop?!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.