Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5c will not charge.

My iPhone 5c is fairly new, not even a year old. Lately I have been having trouble getting it to accept a charger. Did not matter if I used mine, my friends, may grandfather's. All failed to charge the phone without constant contact and a hard push of the charger into the phone. This is terribly annoying. This phone is not only my alarm but my radio for work, my means of communicating with my coworkers, friends, etc. It sometimes takes me an hour of tinkering with the chord to get it to even begin charging. I've tried to cleaning the lighting hole method, I've used pins, blown in it like an old NES cartridge, praying to Jebus, and sometimes that works. However, now I'm so dead I can't even see the battery and chord screen so I have no idea if it has accepted a charge. What do I do? I do not drive, so I cannot get to the closest apple store (20miles from me). I'm starting to regret spending any money on this thing...

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Aug 16, 2015 1:20 PM

1 reply

Aug 18, 2015 8:55 AM in response to rm6582

Hi there rm6582,

It sounds like you are unable to get your less than a year old phone to charge consistently no matter what combination of lightning bolt cables and chargers you use. I would recommend you verify that you have done all the troubleshooting in the following article about issues charging an iPhone. If so, then you should call AppleCare to see what your support options are if it doesn't get your phone to work again.

If you can’t charge your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If the battery doesn’t charge, unplug your device and try these steps:

1. Look at the connector at the bottom of your device and make sure it’s free of debris.
  2. If you're using a USB power adapter, make sure it's plugged in all the way and the power outlet is working. If you're connecting to a computer, make sure it's on and can charge your device. To charge an iPad, you might need to use a USB power adapter and plug into a power outlet.
  3. Try a different USB cable, USB power adapter, or USB port.
  4. If everything seems to be working, reconnect your device and wait for 30 minutes.
  5. If your device still doesn’t charge, try to restart it while it's connected to power. If you can't restart, force your device to restart.

If your device still doesn't charge or you still see an alert after trying the steps above, contact Apple Support.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

iPhone 5c will not charge.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.