Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can my iPhone backup to iCloud without the SIM card?

ATT store employee moved my SIM card to another iPhone and told me to backup from iCloud to transfer everything over. I'm doing that but it says it's taking 2 days to do the backup. I'm wondering if not having the SIM card is a problem.

Posted on Aug 16, 2015 2:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2015 2:46 PM

No. The sim card holds your cell service nothing more. It has nothing to do with iCloud at all.

If the iPhone is connected to Wifi it should be able to backup just fine even though there is no sim card installed. If its taking too long it may be that the wifi network its connected to is very slow. Or there is a lot to backup.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 16, 2015 2:46 PM in response to cwalliser

No. The sim card holds your cell service nothing more. It has nothing to do with iCloud at all.

If the iPhone is connected to Wifi it should be able to backup just fine even though there is no sim card installed. If its taking too long it may be that the wifi network its connected to is very slow. Or there is a lot to backup.

Can my iPhone backup to iCloud without the SIM card?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.