Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music not working even though I have the latest version of iTunes...please help me?!

Hello everyone! I am not sure what is going on with my iTunes... Earlier today I updated my iTunes to the latest version because it said I needed to update my iTunes to use Apple Music, (this is a new iMac 5k with zero use before) so basically I just wanted to start fresh with my music collection after years of using Spotify. To my surprise, even after I updated my iTunes a pop up window keeps coming on that I have to update my iTunes in order to access Apple Music. I have no idea what is going on, I re-downloaded it, restarted my computer, turn off internet, turn it on again... My iTunes says its on the latest version... So what the heck am I doing wrong? Is this a bug?? Help me!!!

iMac with Retina 5K display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Aug 16, 2015 5:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2015 7:36 AM

Greetings juliiadorn,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I understand that you have updated iTunes but are still being notified that you need to update iTunes to use Apple Music. The most current version of iTunes is 12.2.2. If this is not the version you see when you open iTunes, I would suggest checking the Applications folder for the newer version.

It is possible that iTunes did update and install, but just didn’t update in your dock if that is where you are launching iTunes. To check your Applications folder for the new version of iTunes, please follow the steps located in the attached article for navigating Finder.

Mac Basics: The Finder organizes all of your files - Apple Support

Special Folders

OS X includes some folders that are already created for you, such as Applications, Documents, Music and Pictures.

You can jump to these folders in the Finder by using the Finder sidebar.

User uploaded file

You can also jump to certain folders from the Go menu. Select the folder from the menu and the Finder displays its contents.

User uploaded file

Applications folder

The Applications folder holds all of your apps. Double-click an app to open it. You can also open an app using Launchpad.

Cheers

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 18, 2015 7:36 AM in response to juliiadorn

Greetings juliiadorn,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I understand that you have updated iTunes but are still being notified that you need to update iTunes to use Apple Music. The most current version of iTunes is 12.2.2. If this is not the version you see when you open iTunes, I would suggest checking the Applications folder for the newer version.

It is possible that iTunes did update and install, but just didn’t update in your dock if that is where you are launching iTunes. To check your Applications folder for the new version of iTunes, please follow the steps located in the attached article for navigating Finder.

Mac Basics: The Finder organizes all of your files - Apple Support

Special Folders

OS X includes some folders that are already created for you, such as Applications, Documents, Music and Pictures.

You can jump to these folders in the Finder by using the Finder sidebar.

User uploaded file

You can also jump to certain folders from the Go menu. Select the folder from the menu and the Finder displays its contents.

User uploaded file

Applications folder

The Applications folder holds all of your apps. Double-click an app to open it. You can also open an app using Launchpad.

Cheers

Aug 20, 2015 11:58 AM in response to AppleJoe

I have this exact problem. I have downloaded the latest version - 12.2.2.25 (that's what shows up when I click on About iTunes).

When I go the the Apple Music section at the very bottom and click on 90-Day Trial, I am taken back to the "Start Free Trial" page. When I click on the button to start my free trial, it tells me to download the latest version of iTunes, which I already have.

It's an infinite loop of downloads and redirects. It's frustrating. I just want to get back to my free trial.

Aug 24, 2015 5:14 PM in response to juliiadorn

For everyone else whose problem was not solved by joe's response, I am happy to share a solution that I've found.

1. Open your updated version of iTunes and go to Preferences. Go to the General Tab and you will see two checkboxes under Library Name.

2. Tick the first checkbox -- Show Apple Music -- and the menus that disappeared will now re-appear.

3. Tick the second checkbox -- iCloud Music Library -- and the songs/albums/playlists that you previously added from Apple Music will re-appear under My Music.

I have attached a screenshot for reference.

Hope this helps! 🙂

User uploaded file

Apple Music not working even though I have the latest version of iTunes...please help me?!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.