Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows 10 TRRS Microphone support

Hey guys!

So I just installed Windows 10 Via bootcamp and also updated my software to Bootcamp 6 in windows 10. I've heard some people have been able to use their Headset microphone without an issue. But it appears my MacBook Pro Early 2013 did not install the new driver to support TRRS Microphones. Any insight?

~Steven

Posted on Aug 16, 2015 5:56 PM

10 replies

Aug 16, 2015 8:06 PM in response to Loner T

No unknown devices, I have an Early 2013 MacBook Pro 15 inch. I just looked into the post you linked me again. My sound says its a Cirrus Logic CS4206B (AB40) but in the other post he has a Late 2013 MacBook pro and it says his sound is a CS4208 (AB93) could it be that they've released an update for TRRS support for that card only?!

Aug 19, 2015 1:17 AM in response to Steekster

Same issue on a mid 2012 Retina Macbook Pro. Same audio card Cirrus Logic CS4206B (AB40). Ive been using the insider preview of windows 10 with bootcamp 5 drivers during the summer. Just upgraded to RTM and updated to bootcamp 6 drivers. There are two audio drivers provided for both variations of the cirrus logic card. Im wondering if a fresh install of windows alongside a fresh install of bootcamp 6 drivers would help alleviate the issue. Im also wondering if theres a way to force install the CS4208 driver to be used with the CS4206 if it would allow the TRRS jack to be detected correctly.

Having to hunt down a usb sound card for this specific purpose is troublesome. Either its expensive and excessive for the purpose or its a really cheap bad build, not to mention occupying a usb slot.

Never mind this issue going unaddressed since 2008 then suddenly magically working for "select" models, and sadly no one has managed to create a custom driver that enables it. Still keeping my eyes on the issue, and I will probably try a clean installation to be sure. I'll report back here with updates.

Feb 5, 2016 4:17 PM in response to Steekster

So I now am delving into every seemingly relevant post about this issue.

I have an early 13 MBP 15" Retina and I have a Windows 10 bootcamp partition. Everything was working fine for over a month using my apple TRRS standard iPhone headset. Sound out worked fine and my microphone in worked fine.

Today I was playing a game and someone told me my microphone was nothing but static. So now I'm totally confused as to why overnight my microphone would suddenly stop working. I tried reinstalling the cirrus driver, restarting the computer, plugging it in slowly. Nothing will get the computer to recognize the microphone. I also plugged in just a 3.5mm microphone which would not recognize either. There nothing but static playing through my mic which doesn't even seem logical because the computer is making no noise whatsoever.

I'm gonna mess around with things a bit further but I'm really confused as to why all of the sudden it would stop working.

Mar 30, 2016 5:39 PM in response to Loner T

Jumping into this thread as well. I have a Mid 2012 macbook pro retina and my earbud/mic combo do not work. Only mic that shows up is the **** sound card (CS4206B (AB40)). How in the **** does this not get resolved? Apple even fixed this for later models but for some reason left the 2012 version out? The hardware is the same. This makes me furious that we can't just send issues to Apple so they know that this needs to be fixed, bc it might take all of like 10 keystrokes for the driver to RECOGNIZE the same hardware and detect the mic.

Windows 10 TRRS Microphone support

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.