Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can a Canadian use US app store during US travel

I am based in Canada and I use the Canadian App store, but I want to install an app that I would use when I travel in the US. The app is only available on the US app store. Is this possible to do? Can anyone provide general directions? Thanks.

iPhone 6 Plus, Windows 8

Posted on Aug 16, 2015 10:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2015 1:29 PM

I'm not sure that I understand what you are asking. There should be nothing to change on your device. To get an Apple ID in the US you need to change the iTunes country from Canada to the US: scroll to the bottom of the iTunes Store page until you see in the bottom right a circled Canadian flag icon. Click on it then select the USA store by click on it in the listing. Now at the top of the iTunes Store page log out of your Canadian account. Then click on the LogIn link. When the dialog opens click on the link to create a new account. Fill out the form(s) in order to create a new US-based Apple ID. Use that ID whenever you wish to shop in the US online store.

No changes need be made on your devices. To change stores on the devices: Change the country of your iTunes Store, App Store, iBooks Store, and Mac App Store account - Apple Support.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 17, 2015 1:29 PM in response to jerelo

I'm not sure that I understand what you are asking. There should be nothing to change on your device. To get an Apple ID in the US you need to change the iTunes country from Canada to the US: scroll to the bottom of the iTunes Store page until you see in the bottom right a circled Canadian flag icon. Click on it then select the USA store by click on it in the listing. Now at the top of the iTunes Store page log out of your Canadian account. Then click on the LogIn link. When the dialog opens click on the link to create a new account. Fill out the form(s) in order to create a new US-based Apple ID. Use that ID whenever you wish to shop in the US online store.

No changes need be made on your devices. To change stores on the devices: Change the country of your iTunes Store, App Store, iBooks Store, and Mac App Store account - Apple Support.

Aug 17, 2015 12:19 PM in response to jerelo

No, you don't need to change the Apple ID in the device, just the account. I'm a US citizen who spends 5 months a year in Canada. I used this same procedure to obtain a particular piece of software only available in the Canadian Apple Store online. However, you will find that updating software obtained this way will mean switching stores. You also may get prompted to switch when running the software, but you need not make any changes on your device that would affect syncing with your computer-based data.

Aug 17, 2015 1:14 PM in response to Kappy

I can handle switching accounts in order to update software on a particular store. So, great, I'll try this, but the only blocking piece now is that I don't actually know how to change the account, while retaining my appleID. If you could just point me to the area I think I will have solved this question. Do you mean the profile information associated with the appleID (edited on Apple's website), or is the account information somewhere else (on the phone settings maybe)? Thanks for helping out with this last basic step.

How can a Canadian use US app store during US travel

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.