Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Notifications not working correct with iMessage

Hi all,

I have a problem with iMessage notifications on iPhone and Watch.

If iPhone is locked and I'm wearing the watch the iPhone should be mute

and I only should receive notification on Watch but in case of iMessage

I get notification on both. All other notification work, is this a known bug?

Is there a solution?

Thanks

Posted on Aug 17, 2015 2:16 AM

14 replies

Oct 30, 2015 11:15 AM in response to Jonathan UK

I actually prefer to get the notification on the watch and then again on the phone (since I don't always feel or hear on the watch). I have had many instances over the last few months with iMessage, where it randomly selects where to deliver to first (including Mac). for me, its ideal to receive on the watch then again on phone a short time later. It was working in this fassion for a couple months, but a recent software reinstall on my watch has made it work (correctly based on the above), but if there is anyway I could revert back to duel notifications, I would love to hear.

Thanks,

Nov 4, 2015 8:12 PM in response to Jonathan UK

I have the same problem. I have an iphone6S on ios 9.1 and Apple Watch on latest OS. If I turn OFF bluetooth, I receive the imessage with sound and appears on screen with message. This also goes to the watch. However, once i turn ON bluetooth (which I need for the watch), I only receive the imessage on my watch. I no longer get the PING sound on my iPhone nor do I see the text message. If I hit the home button, I can see the text message on the screen but NO notification comes in...unless I turn OFF bluetooth. This only started to happen since I updated iOS to 9.1.

Nov 5, 2015 9:21 AM in response to Gizmo81

Checkers

I can replicate what you have done and it will send notifications to both devices by turning off Bluetooth and using WiFi.

I guess my real question is; although the notifications are not intended to display or push to the watch while the phone is unlocked, is the current design to only push to watch and not to the phone as well? I get notification on my Mac for iMessage and also on my watch. the notification just doesn't notify on the phone. In addition, reminders for calendar events or tasks also act the same way as iMessage. Notifications on watch and other devices are audible and on display, but again not on the iPhone (which they were prior). Which may lead me to think its WAD. That being said if it is WAD, then why was it acting differently before. Even with 9.1 and 2.0.1 it was working this way until I sent my watch to apple support with issues on my HR monitor. They only re installed software on the watch and now the change to notifications has occurred.

Any ideas of how to revert back would be helpful. I don't feel its feasible to continually toggle off BT.

Thanks,

Nov 5, 2015 9:28 AM in response to dtsagent2

RE “is the current design to only push to watch and not to the phone as well? “

Yes, it seems so per this thread that I came across today that offers more advice on this same topic. The solution is to turn OFF wrist detection which I'll try later tonight. Either way, it is a pain that Apple doesn't give users the ability to turn on notifications on both the phone and watch if they want to.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7012664?start=15&tstart=0

And I completely agree with: I don't feel its feasible to continually toggle off BT.

Nov 5, 2015 1:09 PM in response to Gizmo81

After 2 hours on the phone with support today, they confirmed WAD that it should only notify on the watch if phone is locked. And the two individuals wished that they had the option to repeat the notification on the phone if ignored on the watch. They confirmed that although I had been receiving dual notifications since I received my watch, that was indeed a bug and now Im stuck with it functioning the way it was designed instead of the preferred way with this duel notification bug. The Support Supervisor said he wanted to speak with some of the Developers about this item because he has always wanted it that way as well, and with my issue now logged as a support case and the fact i had this ability for months on all versions of watch OS, he feels he has something for them to look at about it. Fingers crossed.

Notifications not working correct with iMessage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.