Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Server 4.1.5/OS X 10.10.5 DHCP server stopped working

Hi,

After upgrading to 10.10.5 I immediately updated Server to 4.1.5. That went seemingly without error.

After the final reboot, all seemed well. The local clients even got DHCP leases. A little while later, though, clients received no answer from the DHCP server anymore.

The DHCP service is bound to the right interface (en0). The service is started. A "netstat -na | grep 67" conforms there's a listener on UDP port 67.

Client leases do arrive, as witnessed by a "sudo tcpdump -vvnni en0 port 67"; this also shows that there are no responses from the DHCP server.

The DHCP service logs show that the service starts upon system boot, and handles a few requests. After that, no requests are logged.

Upon disabling the service in Server and running it by hand in interactive/debug mode ("sudo /usr/lib/bootps -dDv") shows that the service starts, but even though tcpdump clearly shows the DHCP requests arriving, the bootps daemon shows nothing.

Reverting to 10.10.4/4.1.3 restores functionality. Upgrading to 10.10.5/4.1.5 breaks DHCP service again.

I suspect breakage. Am I missing something?

iMac, OS X Server, 10.10.5

Posted on Aug 17, 2015 1:35 AM

2 replies

Sep 16, 2015 4:18 PM in response to roenass

Found it, fixed it.

As it turns out, server has its firewall enabled, with default network access from "private networks".

... And without a service defined for DHCP. This explains why the service is running and can be seen to be listening on the "bootps" port.

I've added a "DHCP" custom access object, which is defined as applicable to inbound udp/67 traffic and which accepts connections from private networks as well as 0.0.0.0.

And presto, that restored sanity.

Server 4.1.5/OS X 10.10.5 DHCP server stopped working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.