Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Memory Prices

I am about to purchase a MBP and want to upgrade the memory from 1MB to 2MB.
I've always heard that Apple's memory prices are really high, but it looks like they will charge me $158 (plus tax) with my educational discount. OWC's lowest price is about $132 shipped, not a huge difference.

$26 doesn't seem like a huge price difference to me. What am I missing?

ibook

Posted on Nov 2, 2006 4:38 PM

8 replies

Nov 2, 2006 5:04 PM in response to yojimbo1

yojimbo

i would just sudjest gettin your ram from apple. Im pretty sure its just a typo but just so you know its GB not MB. A lot of people in these forums might say there is an acceptable 3rd party ram but ive found 3rd party ram is unstable and if so it can cause kernal panics. Its best to just stay with apple when it comes to your computer that way you a completely under warrenty no matter what.

Regards
Andrew

Nov 2, 2006 11:28 PM in response to Shaggywerewolf

I bought OCZ RAM from Newegg a couple of months ago, 1GB 667MHz for about $80 (maxing out my MBP 2.16), and ran MEMTEST, passed with flying colors, never had a crash or freeze. Sure, stay away from the no-namers, but there are some quality RAM makers that won't skin you for your cash. Just read the Newegg reviews as quite a few Mac owners who had success or failures with certain manufacturer's memory modules are not shy about posting their experiences.

Nov 5, 2006 9:10 PM in response to Red Bandit

It sounds like in this case Apple is giving a fair price. the thing about OWC is that if anything EVER goes wrong with your memory it's a lifetime guarantee. I've had nothing but perfect success with them, but a buddy of mine just had an issue (~1.5 years into his RAM's life) and OWC replaced it without discussion. Compare that to Apple Care! I would still go with Apple if these prices are right, but no one should shy away from OWC ram, they rock!

Allison
NosillaCast at http://podfeet.com
A technology geek podcast with an EVER so slight Macintosh bias!

Memory Prices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.