Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Late 2009, A1342 Macbook freezing, then reboots

Yosemite 10.10.4

Samsung 830 256gig SSD, installed maybe 1 1/2 years ago.

Freezing randomly, even when just sitting doing nothing. When it, and it doesn't matter what you're doing, Chrome, Safari or anything else, nothing can be done to deal with the freeze other than wait until it reboots by itself of holding the power button down. When rebooted, most of what was going on can be recovered but that may just be by design. Like Chrome can recover what URL I was working with, mail has a draft copy of email I was working on etc.

The system has 4 gig of memory

I'm OK using a Mac but trouble shooting one is not my strong side. I'm mostly a PC user other than all my Apple products, Ipads, Iphone, Imac and this Macbook.

I realize these type of faults are hard to diag. The only log stuff I can find is in Console, and there are entries there reflecting crashing, but reading them and making sense is beyond me.

Anyone offer any help, I'd appreciate it very much.

Gene

MacBook (13-inch Late 2009), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Aug 17, 2015 5:39 AM

15 replies

Aug 28, 2015 2:52 PM in response to Joker035

Joker,

I'm also surprised that not anyone has suggested a cause. I was thinking a memory issue but from my experience, memory issues will crash a system and often do damage to files etc since I think the memory we're using is NOT ECC as with most PC memory. Thus when a reference is made to a memory location that is picking or dropping a bit or so, no one is the wiser until the bad data craps on something causing a crash.

Thus, I'm suspecting a video issue as video issues will not often corrupt things in the system, thus the freeze and reboot, the machine comes right back up and all is well until the next time and often mine will freeze while playing a movie etc., and the sound will still be playing but stuttering.

If indeed the issue is video, it will require a new main board and I'm not sure that's an investment that's a smart thing at this point.

I've done a bunch of searching around and have not come up with anything.

Aug 28, 2015 5:57 PM in response to uniquewon

I just ended up replacing the logic board. It was not brand new, but a good one from eBay. Everything has been running great for a few days, but today the MacBook froze and rebooted once. Took awhile to come back on with a long grey screen. I have a new ssd on it also. I will let you know how I make out over the next couple of days. I am also replacing the airport card. It also looses network connections randomly.

Aug 28, 2015 7:20 PM in response to Joker035

THanks for that update, since you replaced the logic board and it still happens, I guess that rules out the video. Did you install your original memory into the replacement logic board?

I Guess when I get back home from vacation, I'll put my original memory back in as I had upgraded mine soon after I got the book. Then we'll see how it goes. Could be the board you got on eBay may also have the same issue as we're having. My book is not a main computer for us, it's mainly used while away on vacation and sometimes at home when I'm relaxing in the living room so it's not a huge loss. My wife says, just get a new one but ****, they are expensive when you look at what you can get a new Dell laptop for these days. BTW, we use both Macs and PCs, PCs mainly.

keep me posted as I will you.

gene

Aug 29, 2015 4:49 AM in response to Joker035

On Mac notebooks with non-removable battery

Mac notebook computers that have a battery you should not remove include: MacBook Pro (Early 2009) and later, all models of MacBook Air, MacBook (Late 2009), and MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2015).

To reset the SMC:

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Plug in the MagSafe or USB-C power adapter to a power source and to your computer.
  3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
  4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
  5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.

On MagSafe power adapters, the LED might change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.

Ive not tried this reset myself yet, but I will give it a go when I get back home.

Keep me posted,

Gene

Aug 29, 2015 5:39 PM in response to Joker035

This may be nuts to post...

But right after I posted for you how to reset the SMC, I reset my SMC....and, I hope this don't jinx this - but so far, most all morning and now a good long time this PM it has not hung.

So to the poster who suggested this - I thank you very much. I know I have in the past reset SMC etc., but not since this hanging issue started. I just never thought SMC could be the issue.

Keeping my fingers crossed,

Gene

Aug 31, 2015 6:51 AM in response to uniquewon

Well, the problem is NOT solved for me but one thing is for sure, the hangs are WAY less frequent. Like this morning, over 3 hours of use and no hang yet. It went for a day or more without a hang, but it's still not a solved problem but surely way less frequent since I reset the SMC. I have to do some research into the SMC thing and try and understand why it could affect the hanging situation.

How is your hanging failure doing since you did the reset?

Gene

Aug 31, 2015 9:18 AM in response to uniquewon

I reset the SMC also.... BUT. I also replaced the logic board and the airport card. Knock on wood, but everything has been running great. I got the logic board at a real good price with a 30 day warranty. If you want I can send you the info where I got it from. I used ifixit.com to show me how. super easy i felt. Let me know and I will shoot you a PM. I feel the problem is the logic board in my opinion.

Good Luck

Sep 5, 2015 10:38 AM in response to Joker035

Well, the reboots started again today. It has been running smooth. I am trying something out. I had 8 gig of ram memory in the laptop. Which everymac.com said it could support. I just pulled out one of the 4gig sticks to see what happens. So far everything is running smooth. Cross my fingers it is okay. If okay I will add a 2 gig stick for 6 gig. then test that out.

I will keep you posted.

Sep 5, 2015 11:34 AM in response to Joker035

Hey, sorry about your return to rebooting after all you've done. Memory probably is top suspect I'm now thinking but in my case, I'm SOL I think cause we

're back from vacation and this morning I had the Macbook on and it wanted to do some updates that I had ignored while on vacation and after it finished them it no longer boots. I get a circle with a slash in it, and that's it. I tried doing the recovery thing, first had it verify the disk and that didn't help so next I did a restore from my Time Machine and that also did not work. Could be I have a toasted SSD maybe but there's no way to tell.

I'm thinking I will not replace this Macbook with another Mac product, instead I'll get probably just buy a laptop from Dell, I'm not a well versed MAC person, so trouble shooting is hard for me with that product line. I'm a little disgusted with the lack of understandable log information the operating system provides. I've solved many hangs and crashes on PC products over the years by reading the crash dump information.

So here I am without my Macbook.

Gene

Late 2009, A1342 Macbook freezing, then reboots

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.