Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can I move photo onto an external hard drive to free up storage on the internal hd

How can I move photo over to an external hd to free up storage on my internal hd.Many thanks for any help :-)

Posted on Aug 17, 2015 6:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2015 7:24 AM

Drag them there. If you're moving an iPhoto, Aperture, or Photos library, the volume you're putting it onto needs to be formatted as Mac OS Extended, and once done, launch the application with the Option key held down and choose that library.

(131874)

3 replies

Aug 17, 2015 7:33 AM in response to mummabear23

mummabear23 wrote:

How can I move photo over to an external hd to free up storage on my internal hd.Many thanks for any help :-)

You can't move the app itself but as Niel explains moving the library is a simple drag and drop process. Another method to open for the first time once you have moved the library is to simply double click it in the new location and the app will open. After that the app has learned where the library resides.

can I move photo onto an external hard drive to free up storage on the internal hd

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.