Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to prepare a 2005 iBook G4 for sale without disks

Hi, I have a 2005 iBook G4 (which I upgraded to OS X 10.4.11) which I would like to sell or donate to charity. Obviously I need to safely clear all my data off it first. Trouble is, I don't have the install disks to do this. And the optical disk drive doesn't work anyway! Can anyone offer any suggestions? Thank you for looking!

iBook, Mac OS X (10.4.11), G4 14" 2005

Posted on Aug 17, 2015 9:25 AM

3 replies

Aug 17, 2015 3:13 PM in response to campo54

Although you could create a bootable backup clone of the current system, that would be

OK for your own uses; and it also would include your personal account information. Since

there is a spotty record of late model G4 iBook computers (sometimes) not booting from

USB drives, a clone on USB flash or thumb-drive; that has a spotty history of sometimes

working as a method to get around the lack of an optical drive.

A second PPC Mac w/ FireWire + optical drive, may be used as optical drive to help install

an OS X from the original media install-restore DVDs. The Target Disk Mode may work, if

you have a second computer that has FW ports.

• How to use and troubleshoot FireWire target disk mode - Apple Support

There is a way to erase personal information by use of terminal or single user mode, but

I've not done that; a command line could allow the computer to start up without your old

account, and set up a new user account. However the lack of system install-restore DVD

leaves any later user without the correct means of fully re-installing a system, or replace

the hard drive; since Disk utility is on the disc and is a primary tool for recovery.

An externally enclosed (with an external power supply) FireWire optical drive with a chip

set that recognizes the ability to boot an OS X system from that drive, would be ideal. Or

to get a replacement optical drive (and hard drive, while its open to repair) and fix it.

I have several items like that. Including clones of PPC systems on FW external HDDs.

So much fun, only to a point.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Aug 19, 2015 10:15 AM in response to campo54

Hi campo54,

To prepare your iBook for sale, first turn it off and turn it on holding down command and S. You should see a black screen with white letters. Type this code in:

/sbin/mount -uaw

press enter, then type

rm /var/db/.applesetupdone

press enter, then type

reboot

press enter

Now your computer should boot and you'll see the welcome screen. Now the next user can create a new account. The only problem is that your account will still be there. Just tell the next owner to delete it. Don't worry, they can't get in without your password! But just in case, you may want to delete any personal information before doing this. Also understand that this doesn't reset or delete anything, it just shows the welcome screen. So any applications you installed into the applications folder will still be there. You should delete them before doing this.

Hope this helps,

HFTaylor12

How to prepare a 2005 iBook G4 for sale without disks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.