Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Media Keys Not Working after Windows 10 Upgrade -- A possible fix

Hello.

I just figured out why my Logitech keyboard's media keys (play/pause) stopped working for iTunes on a recent Windows 10 upgrade using the latest iTunes for windows.

I searched and found several fixes that didn't work in my case: looking for and disabling the Google Play chrome extension (or any Chrome extension that would use global hot keys), checking for latest drivers, etc. However, my fix wasn't posted online, so I thought I'd post what worked in my case.

My final fix was to go to: Windows Control Panel\Programs\Default Programs\Set program access and computer defaults\Custom\choose a default media player, and select iTunes. Once I pressed OK, my media keys started controlling iTunes again.

It seems that Windows 10 comes with "groove music" and "windows media player" and these programs may take over media control buttons upon Windows 10 installation.

Hope this helps others.

iTunes Windows 10

Posted on Aug 17, 2015 9:28 AM

12 replies

Sep 1, 2015 5:34 AM in response to viveredesign

I have a similar problem - since I upgraded fro Win 8.1 to 10 the media keys work fine with iTunes for a while then suddenly seem to lose their connection to iTunes. That is, when I press the key in question, the logitech icon displays briefly on the screen as normal, but there is no effect on iTunes. Shutting down and restarting iTunes seems to fix the problem for a time, but it comes back. I have the latest Logitech drivers/software installed.

Sep 5, 2015 8:21 PM in response to viveredesign

+1 for this issue

Commonly stated fix that may work for you but didn't work for me :

1. Press Windows+X and select "Computer management".
  2. At the left, under "computer management", you find "Services and Applications". Open it and select "Services".
  3. Search for a service named Human Interface Device Access (or something VERY similiar).
  4. Once found, check the status. If the value is not "Started", start it.
  5. To make sure it will be on also in the future, check the Startup Type value. If not "Automatic", right click it, and select properties.
  6. Under the tab "General", change the Startup type to Automatic.
  7. Apply and close.

Sep 16, 2015 8:12 AM in response to SuicidalZA

Making the service change to auto doesn't seem to have entirely solved the problem. Nor does upgrading to Setpoint 6.67.83 (released a few days ago). I have similar mouse problems, too, which affect other apps as well, so I'm beginning to think this is more Logitech's or Microsoft's problem than Apple's. The mouse seems occasionally to forget its speed and scroll speed settings. Opening Setpoint and making any arbitrary change to the mouse speed settings seems to bring it back under control, albeit temporarily. I can't find any means of getting meaningful support from Logitech.

Feb 28, 2016 9:12 AM in response to viveredesign

I thought I'd add another option, even though it's rather oddball.

I'd had my desktop case opened to install a memory upgrade and when I hooked everything up again, I had accidentally plugged my speakers into the wrong socket. There's three identical pin plug sockets back there and in rummaging around I'd chosen the wrong one.

As soon as I corrected the error, all my media keys worked as usual.

George

Media Keys Not Working after Windows 10 Upgrade -- A possible fix

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.