Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do i recover forgotten administrative logon info on Mac Book Pro?

I'm trying to change settings on dads computer for him but he has forgot his logon name and password. Is there any way I can fix this without taking it to Apple store? His computer is a Mac Book Pro with the latest software updates. I;m not sure about more info. I'm a computer rookie at 51.

MacBook Pro, iOS 8.3, Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5

Posted on Aug 17, 2015 10:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2015 10:45 AM

Restart the MacBook Pro holding the Command and R keys. When the machine restarts, from the Utilities drop down on the menu bar, choose Terminal. After Terminal opens, type EXACTLY:

resetpassword

and press Enter. When the Resetpassword window has opened, highlight the internal drive, usually Macintosh HD, select the user account, and enter a new password twice. Then Save.

Accept the next dialog window that opens.

Lower right of the Resetpassword window, apply a reset of the user directory permissions.

Then click the apple left side of the menu bar, Restart.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 17, 2015 10:45 AM in response to df918

Restart the MacBook Pro holding the Command and R keys. When the machine restarts, from the Utilities drop down on the menu bar, choose Terminal. After Terminal opens, type EXACTLY:

resetpassword

and press Enter. When the Resetpassword window has opened, highlight the internal drive, usually Macintosh HD, select the user account, and enter a new password twice. Then Save.

Accept the next dialog window that opens.

Lower right of the Resetpassword window, apply a reset of the user directory permissions.

Then click the apple left side of the menu bar, Restart.

Aug 28, 2015 7:50 PM in response to Ralph Landry1

I thought I had fixed it using your method but months ltr now I found out it didnt reset administrator password so he still cant use his computer. I can logon to it afyter using your advice but wont let anything else happen because parental lock is on and Im the one who turned it on. Remember doing it but no idea how i did it. Well now Im asking if you might have any other ideas. Sorry but using your method got me back on the comp. I need to reset admin password to turn off parental control so comp will let us use it. Think I prob did something wrong when I turned it on plus forgot admin pw.

Aug 29, 2015 4:50 AM in response to df918

If you are having admin issues again, just follow that procedure and reset the admin password again so you regain control of the computer. While in the Reset Password window you can write down all of the user names, that should help your dad remember the login name he used...and you can reset that user password, also, while you are in there. After restarting, login as the admin user, go to System Preferences and change the Parental Controls if those are causing problems. As admin you should be able to fix the controls.

How do i recover forgotten administrative logon info on Mac Book Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.