Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I need to fix the encrypted login screen

I am starting at a job and have never encountered a login screen like this. I figured out what it is for, It comes up anytime there is a password required. I would like to remove the encryption. Unsure of how to remove that feature? I have tried the security under preferences - feels like a third party app. Unsure. Any help in cleaning this up would be great.

It is an older mac a Mac Pro desktop, OS X version 10.6.8

User uploaded file

Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 17, 2015 1:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2015 2:03 PM

It's not encrypted. It's the font LastResort being used by the OS because either the font cache data is corrupt, or the system font that's supposed to be used there is missing or damaged.

Usually, clearing the font cache data from the drive fixes the issue.

Close all running applications. From an administrator account, open the Terminal app and enter the following command. You can also copy/paste it from here into the Terminal window:

sudo atsutil databases -remove

Terminal will then ask for your admin password. As you type, it will not show anything, so be sure to enter it correctly.

This command removes all font cache files. Both for the system and the current logged in user account. After running the command, close Terminal and immediately restart your Mac.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 17, 2015 2:03 PM in response to KelleyMT

It's not encrypted. It's the font LastResort being used by the OS because either the font cache data is corrupt, or the system font that's supposed to be used there is missing or damaged.

Usually, clearing the font cache data from the drive fixes the issue.

Close all running applications. From an administrator account, open the Terminal app and enter the following command. You can also copy/paste it from here into the Terminal window:

sudo atsutil databases -remove

Terminal will then ask for your admin password. As you type, it will not show anything, so be sure to enter it correctly.

This command removes all font cache files. Both for the system and the current logged in user account. After running the command, close Terminal and immediately restart your Mac.

I need to fix the encrypted login screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.