Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My macbook air trackpad suddenly won't work?

I had been watching Netflix and then the show started getting all slow and choppy so, I quickly plugged in the power cable just in case the power was low. It kept being slow and soon froze. After trying Esc, I hit the power button. Once turning it off, I turned it back on to hear a running motor sound and air being blown out the back. I'm thinking the laptop got too hot or the battery malfunctioned.. I don't know. Now, the sound and air stopped, but the trackpad won't follow my movements - it will only let me click. Please help!

Also, I got my 13' MacBook Air for Christmas in 2013. I haven't had any problems until now. I've tried restarting and nothing works. When checking the track pad settings it will not find my trackpad.

MacBook Air

Posted on Aug 17, 2015 12:05 PM

1 reply

Aug 17, 2015 4:48 PM in response to newmacairuser1

Have Apple check your battery's condition:

Genius Bar Reservations

An aging battery can fail in a manner causing it to swell, exerting pressure on the trackpad from underneath.

Determine if the problems also persist in "Safe Mode"

• Safe Mode or "Safe Boot" is a troubleshooting mode that bypasses all third party system extensions and loads only required system components. Read about it: Starting up in Safe Mode
  • You must disable FileVault before you can start your Mac in Safe Mode.
  • Starting your Mac in Safe Mode will take longer than usual, graphics will not render smoothly, audio is disabled on some Macs, and some programs (iTunes for example) may not work at all.
  • Merely starting your Mac in Safe Mode is not intended to resolve the problem, it's to observe its performance without certain additional components.
  • To end Safe Mode restart your Mac normally. Shutdown will take longer as well.

System performance problems for reasons that cannot be isolated to any other cause justify an SMC reset. Be sure to read the procedure carefully and follow all the steps exactly as written, even if they seem inapplicable or trivial.

My macbook air trackpad suddenly won't work?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.