Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail app on iPad 2 still not working after 8.4.1 update. Help!

When I press the app it goes to blank mail app (i.e. no content) then to dark screen then to home page. This has been happening for 2 months now, after several resets

Posted on Aug 17, 2015 3:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2015 9:30 AM

Hi there Negrotski,

It sounds like the Mail app is closing every time you try and open it despite holding the Home and Sleep/Wake buttons to reset the device a few times. I would start by quitting the Mail app:

Force an app to close in iOS

1. Press the Home button two times quickly. You'll see small previews of your recently used apps.
2. Swipe left to find the app you want to close.
3. Swipe up on the app's preview to close it.

When you have done that restart the device and test the issue again:

iOS: Turning off and on (restarting) and resetting

If the issue persists, then delete the account in Settings:

Get help with Mail on iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Remove the affected email account from your device with these steps:

1. Tap Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars.
  2. Tap the email account.
  3. Tap Delete Account.
  4. Add your account again.

Then launch the Mail app and test it. If it stays open and prompts you to add an account then add the account and verify it still works.

If the issue persists or the above doesn't resolve it, backup your device to iTunes, then restore it as new and verify that it works.

How to erase your iOS device and then set it up as a new device or restore it from backups
If it does, then restore your backup to either verify it still works and the software just needed reinstalled, or isolate the issue to the backup file itself.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 19, 2015 9:30 AM in response to Negrotski

Hi there Negrotski,

It sounds like the Mail app is closing every time you try and open it despite holding the Home and Sleep/Wake buttons to reset the device a few times. I would start by quitting the Mail app:

Force an app to close in iOS

1. Press the Home button two times quickly. You'll see small previews of your recently used apps.
2. Swipe left to find the app you want to close.
3. Swipe up on the app's preview to close it.

When you have done that restart the device and test the issue again:

iOS: Turning off and on (restarting) and resetting

If the issue persists, then delete the account in Settings:

Get help with Mail on iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Remove the affected email account from your device with these steps:

1. Tap Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars.
  2. Tap the email account.
  3. Tap Delete Account.
  4. Add your account again.

Then launch the Mail app and test it. If it stays open and prompts you to add an account then add the account and verify it still works.

If the issue persists or the above doesn't resolve it, backup your device to iTunes, then restore it as new and verify that it works.

How to erase your iOS device and then set it up as a new device or restore it from backups
If it does, then restore your backup to either verify it still works and the software just needed reinstalled, or isolate the issue to the backup file itself.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Aug 20, 2015 4:08 PM in response to Negrotski

I had the same problem. after upgrading to IOS 8.4.1 I tried the easier steps described below by ALEX (ie shuting down the mail app, restarting the iPad,etc) and nothing worked. I finally did the final step ie backed up the iPad to my computer, erased the iPad and then set it up as a new device ,and then restored the backup) and ...IT WORKED! Try it.

Aug 20, 2015 5:10 PM in response to chuck_3rd

Thanks a lot Alex for your suggestions.

I'm sorry I wasn't clear, but I had tried everything but a clean wpie with backup.

My problem is solved now -- I had originally only deleted my regularly used email account, which I had assumed was the offending account. The simple solution presented itself with deleting ALL my email accounts -- with that and a reset, boom, problem gone!

Thanks again,

n

Mail app on iPad 2 still not working after 8.4.1 update. Help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.