Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP Shutting Down Instead of Sleep During Long Periods of Inactivity

I have a MBP that, recently within the last month or so, started to shut down after long periods of inactivity. By long, I mean like a few hours. Before, I used to just simply lift the lid and the computer would be at the sign on screen immediately. Now, I have to press and hold the power button for about 5 seconds for it to come back on. After pressing and holding the power button, the Apple logo will appear with a black background, but I don't hear that sounds that typically accompanies the logo during a "normal" boot. Further, when the machine does finally come back on, I get prompted for my password twice. During the first prompt I notice that the back light on the keyboard doesn't activate and the screen will flicker oddly when transitioning to the second logon screen. At this point the back light on the keyboard will turn back on. As a t-shooting measure I reset the SMC but I'm still seeing the issue.

Before taking this thing into the genius bar, I figured I'd post something here to see if I'm the only one or if this is a more pervasive problem. Does anyone else have this issue with their MBP? If you were able to resolve it, how did you do it?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Aug 17, 2015 6:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2015 7:58 PM

Step 1

Take all the applicable steps in this support article. That's the starting point for any further efforts to solve the problem. Please read the whole article carefully and don't skip any of the steps, including the ones under the heading Learn more. If you don't understand any of the steps, ask for guidance.

Wake failures can be caused by peripheral devices. Be sure to disconnect those, if applicable, as directed in the article.

Also note that if you replaced the internal hard drive with an SSD, or if you're starting up from an external SSD, then that device may be causing the problem. Check the SSD manufacturer's website for a firmware update. The only solution may be to reinstall the original drive or avoid sleep altogether.

Step 2

If you're running OS X 10.8.5 or earlier, from the menu bar select

 ▹ System Preferences... ▹ Accessibility

If the checkbox at the bottom marked

Enable access for assistive devices

is checked, uncheck it and test.

If you're running OS X 10.9 or later, select

 ▹ System Preferences... ▹ Security & Privacy ▹ Privacy ▹ Accessibility

If any applications are listed on the right and have a checked box next to them, uncheck all the boxes and test. You may first have to click the padlock icon in the lower left corner of the window and authenticate as an administrator to unlock the settings.

Step 3

Back up all data.

Triple-click the line below on this page to select it, then copy the text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C:

/var/vm

In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You may not see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

A folder named "vm" should open. Inside it, there may be a file named "sleepimage". Move that file, and only that one, to the Trash, but don't empty yet. You'll be prompted for your password. Close the folder window.

Restart the computer and empty the Trash.

Step 4

In the Energy Saver pane of System Preferences, uncheck the box marked

Put hard disks to sleep when possible

Step 5

If the machine is bound to a network directory server (Open Directory, Active Directory, or LDAP), temporarily unbind it in the Users & Groups preference pane and test. You must by logged in as a local administrator to do this.

If you don't know what a network directory server is, this step doesn't apply to you.

Step 6

If you have replaced or added memory, test with only the original memory installed.

Step 7

If you don't already have a current backup, back up all data, then reinstall the OS.* You don't need to erase the startup volume, and you won't need the backup unless something goes wrong. If the system was upgraded from an older version of OS X, you may need the Apple ID and password you used.

If you installed the Java runtime distributed by Apple and still need it, you'll have to reinstall it. The same goes for Xcode. All other data will be preserved.

*The linked support article refers to OS X 10.10 ("Yosemite"), but the procedure is the same for OS X 10.7 ("Lion") and later.

Step 8

This and the next step must be taken as an administrator. If you have only one user account, you are the administrator.

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

In the Console window, select

DIAGNOSTIC AND USAGE INFORMATION Diagnostic and Usage Messages

In the search box in the window's toolbar, enter "powerd" (without the quotes.)

You may see one or more lines like this:

com.apple.message.signature: Platform Failure

or

com.apple.message.signature: Drivers Failure

If you do see that, and you did everything in the preceeding steps, then you're dealing with an internal hardware fault. Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store, or go to another authorized service provider.

Step 9

DIAGNOSTIC AND USAGE INFORMATION System Diagnostic Reports

(not Diagnostic and Usage Messages) from the log list on the left. If you don't see that heading, select

View Show Log List

from the menu bar.

There is a disclosure triangle to the left of the list item. If the triangle is pointing to the right, click it so that it points down.

You may see one or more reports with a name that begins with "Kernel" or "Sleep Wake Failure" followed by a date. Select the most recent one. The contents of the report will appear on the right. Use copy and paste to post the entire contents—the text, not a screenshot.

I know the report is long, maybe several hundred lines. Please post all of it anyway.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 17, 2015 7:58 PM in response to masterstank

Step 1

Take all the applicable steps in this support article. That's the starting point for any further efforts to solve the problem. Please read the whole article carefully and don't skip any of the steps, including the ones under the heading Learn more. If you don't understand any of the steps, ask for guidance.

Wake failures can be caused by peripheral devices. Be sure to disconnect those, if applicable, as directed in the article.

Also note that if you replaced the internal hard drive with an SSD, or if you're starting up from an external SSD, then that device may be causing the problem. Check the SSD manufacturer's website for a firmware update. The only solution may be to reinstall the original drive or avoid sleep altogether.

Step 2

If you're running OS X 10.8.5 or earlier, from the menu bar select

 ▹ System Preferences... ▹ Accessibility

If the checkbox at the bottom marked

Enable access for assistive devices

is checked, uncheck it and test.

If you're running OS X 10.9 or later, select

 ▹ System Preferences... ▹ Security & Privacy ▹ Privacy ▹ Accessibility

If any applications are listed on the right and have a checked box next to them, uncheck all the boxes and test. You may first have to click the padlock icon in the lower left corner of the window and authenticate as an administrator to unlock the settings.

Step 3

Back up all data.

Triple-click the line below on this page to select it, then copy the text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C:

/var/vm

In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You may not see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

A folder named "vm" should open. Inside it, there may be a file named "sleepimage". Move that file, and only that one, to the Trash, but don't empty yet. You'll be prompted for your password. Close the folder window.

Restart the computer and empty the Trash.

Step 4

In the Energy Saver pane of System Preferences, uncheck the box marked

Put hard disks to sleep when possible

Step 5

If the machine is bound to a network directory server (Open Directory, Active Directory, or LDAP), temporarily unbind it in the Users & Groups preference pane and test. You must by logged in as a local administrator to do this.

If you don't know what a network directory server is, this step doesn't apply to you.

Step 6

If you have replaced or added memory, test with only the original memory installed.

Step 7

If you don't already have a current backup, back up all data, then reinstall the OS.* You don't need to erase the startup volume, and you won't need the backup unless something goes wrong. If the system was upgraded from an older version of OS X, you may need the Apple ID and password you used.

If you installed the Java runtime distributed by Apple and still need it, you'll have to reinstall it. The same goes for Xcode. All other data will be preserved.

*The linked support article refers to OS X 10.10 ("Yosemite"), but the procedure is the same for OS X 10.7 ("Lion") and later.

Step 8

This and the next step must be taken as an administrator. If you have only one user account, you are the administrator.

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

DIAGNOSTIC AND USAGE INFORMATION Diagnostic and Usage Messages

In the search box in the window's toolbar, enter "powerd" (without the quotes.)

You may see one or more lines like this:

com.apple.message.signature: Platform Failure

or

com.apple.message.signature: Drivers Failure

If you do see that, and you did everything in the preceeding steps, then you're dealing with an internal hardware fault. Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store, or go to another authorized service provider.

Step 9

DIAGNOSTIC AND USAGE INFORMATION System Diagnostic Reports

(not Diagnostic and Usage Messages) from the log list on the left. If you don't see that heading, select

View Show Log List

from the menu bar.

There is a disclosure triangle to the left of the list item. If the triangle is pointing to the right, click it so that it points down.

You may see one or more reports with a name that begins with "Kernel" or "Sleep Wake Failure" followed by a date. Select the most recent one. The contents of the report will appear on the right. Use copy and paste to post the entire contents—the text, not a screenshot.

I know the report is long, maybe several hundred lines. Please post all of it anyway.

Sep 24, 2015 4:41 AM in response to masterstank

UPDATE: I took the macbook in to the Genius bar for investigation. After I explained all of the steps that I took prior to coming into the store, the guy told me that they would need to escalate the case to engineering and hang onto the macbook. Long story short, they had the device for a week and engineering could not figure it out. They told me I could pick up the laptop as engineering had enough information at this point and that they would call me once they've concluded one way or the other.

During their investigation, in passing one of the tech's told me that the engineers stated that there was a "known issue" with File Vault II which was known to cause these types of issues. Since the issue was still persisting by the time I received the macbook back from them, I decided to give it a try. I'm happy to report that after disabling File Vault on my macbook, the issue is no longer present.

Obviously this is not an ideal fix as this means that I lose the ability to encrypt my files. So I think Apple needs to figure this out and release a fix for it some time in the near future. I'll update this thread if I hear anything else back from Apple on this front.

Nov 6, 2015 4:58 AM in response to masterstank

UPDATE: It appears that the issue has come back. Even with the file vault disabled, the issue is still present. I believe this is hardware related but the 'geniuses' over at the genius bar couldn't figure it out. They had my macbook for over a week with 'engineering' looking into it. The net of all that was, problem still persists and nobody ever diagnosed what the cause of the issue was. So after all that, I'm back to square one (sigh).

MBP Shutting Down Instead of Sleep During Long Periods of Inactivity

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.