Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HELP! Went from Snow Leopard to OSX 10.4.11

I currently took my iMac (that I purchased in 2008.. or 2009 anywho, it's an older model) to the Apple Store where I was told that in order for me to continue using this computer I had to "blank slate it". I come home to work on some iMovie's amongst other things and notice that everything was either super slow or not possible to be used with this software. When my Mom tried playing her slot machines on FB, it said the flashplayer was not compatible and to download the latest one. I click on the download option and it says my software is outdated and needs a recent one. I can't even log in to my iTunes account and when I plug in my iphone, my computer doesn't even show the icon so I can't even transfer over my music, apps, ibooks etc. Must I need to repurchase a new software? Please advise. I really can't afford to purchase a new computer. Thank you for your time and please have yourself a beautiful day!

~Juanita

iMac, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Aug 17, 2015 8:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2015 8:29 PM

You need to use the DVD that was previously used to upgrade it to Snow Leopard. If you don't have that, buy one from the online Apple Store.

(131915)

6 replies

Aug 17, 2015 8:59 PM in response to Toots04

Hello Toots (I can't believe I got the chance to use that phrase appropriately!)

First, let's nail down your Mac's pertinent details - then we'll see where we go from there.

Do this:

• Choose the  Menu > About This Mac
  • Capture that Dialog Box as an image
    to capture a "Dialog box or Alert Message",
    ⌘ Command + ⇧ Shift > Press ' 4 ' > SPACEBAR ,
    the cross-hair cursor will turn into a "Camera" and hilite the dialog > click the mouse button.
    The image will be saved to your Desktop as '.png' file and be named differently according to your OS X version.(Likely as "Picture 1.png" in your case)
    Example from my Mac:
    User uploaded file
  • Post it here in a reply using the Camera Tool at the top of the reply window => User uploaded file

This will tell us the two pertinent things - Processor and Memory

Next, try to think of the last time your Mac ran 'normally' - then try to recall any 'event' that occurred just prior to the 'slowdown'. This could be anything at all - add software, update/upgrade software, add an external device, click on a pop-up ad/window, anything.

we await your reply

ÇÇÇ

Aug 18, 2015 10:03 PM in response to Toots04

forgive me, but I am going to slice and dice your original post so we acan talk about item by by item

1. I currently took my iMac ... to the Apple Store
  2. where I was told that in order for me to continue using this computer I had to "blank slate it".
  3. I come home to work on some iMovie's amongst other things and notice that everything was either super slow or
  4. not possible to be used with this software.
  5. When my Mom tried playing her slot machines on FB, it said the flashplayer was not compatible and to download the latest one. I click on the download option and it says my software is outdated and needs a recent one.
  6. I can't even log in to my iTunes account and when I plug in my iphone, my computer doesn't even show the icon so I can't even transfer over my music, apps, ibooks etc.
  7. Must I need to repurchase a new software? Please advise. I really can't afford to purchase a new computer. Thank you for your time and please have yourself a beautiful day!

1. Why did you take your Mac in in the first place? Be detailed about why.
  2. What dis they say was wrong with it exactly? Wiping a Mac clean is a pretty drastic measure.
  3. Was the slowness new after your visit to the Genius Bar? What did they tell you they did to it there?
  4. Do you mean that some software no longer runs after the Genius visit? Help us understand this part.
  5. Had your Mom been able to play FB slots before your visit? What browser and version? Safari 4.1.3?
    • click the browser title in the Menu, like you did the  Menu
    •• for Safari - in the Menu Bar, click Safari > About Safari -- it will give a similar window like you posted here (no need to post the picture just the version)
  6. Is this NEW? Only since Genius visit? Describe exactly what you do - in detail - step-by-step. Include any messages verbatim.
  7. This is what I don't understand. Where did the idea about New Software come from? Genius recommend an OS X upgrade? To what version? (they may have used the 'animal' name) What was their reasoning?

I am pretty sure that once we get some answers that some really smart folks will help you figure out what to do.

HELP! Went from Snow Leopard to OSX 10.4.11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.