Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.10.5 full installer won't download

I've been trying to download the full 10.10.5 installer from the Mac App Store (for use in creating deployment images) using the same process I've used many times before with previous versions, but it doesn't seem to be working for me. I go into my Purchased tab to see that I've already downloaded Yosemite and I click on it to bring up the description. Then I click on the Download button and I get an alert telling me I already have it installed on the Mac I'm on, but if I'd like to download the full installer, just click Continue. I click Continue and I wait and wait and wait and the gear in the Mac App Store.app just spins and spins and spins but it never shows up in /Applications. I've tried it on 4 different Macs with the same result. I have no problems downloading other previously purchased apps from the store. I've kept an eye on /Library/Updates. I've also enabled the Debug menu to show me the download folder, but it looks like it's not even trying. I've used MenuMeters to watch my network throughput and there is no traffic at all unless I'm in another app using the internet. I've heard that some other people are experiencing this but it seems to clear up after a day or so and will magically start downloading. I don't have that much free time to just wait for it to start working on its own. Has anyone found a cure for this problem?

Posted on Aug 18, 2015 4:42 AM

4 replies

Aug 21, 2015 5:29 AM in response to Clint Mcintosh

Sorry for bad englisch, but let's try it:

Had the same problem and tried some answers that can be found in the net:
- Doing this "deleting update directory" thing with no result
- logged myself out of the mac app store and logged in again... nothing changed
- some other stuff... but nothing helped

Then i switched to "save mode" by holding down the shift key while the mac was booting. Everything was very slow but the system was working. I started the app store und tried to download the full installer... and it worked!!! After a few minutes the 6 gigs are on my hd (100MBit cable). BUT... and thats the interesting thing.. the full installer was not downloaded to the programs directory.

A few months ago, as i downloaded 10.10.3 full, i moved the "OS X Yosemite Installation.app" to my documents. And the new download REPLACED the one in my documents.

I was able (by using time machine) to restore the two Versions of OS X and moved them to a new made directory on my external drive (my time machine drive). The two files were renamed to "OS X Yosemite Installation 10 10 3.app" and "OS X Yosemite Installation 10 10 5.app".

Ok...rebooting in "normal" mode. Then i tried again. And downloading the full installer now also worked in the normal mode... BUT now the download REPLACED my ne created Package "OS X Yosemite Installation 10 10 5.app" on my external drive!

That means: The OS knows were you place your app file and if you download a new version the old one will be replaced in the directory you moved them to. And i think that was causing the problems at the very beginning. Because i moved the original 10.10.3 installer into my documents. It was not were the app store was awaiting it but it was still in my file system.

Solution: rename all your older full installation files and move them to an external drive. Then remove this drive from you mac. Than the app store will download the new full installation file in the normal programs directory.

Hope this helps.

10.10.5 full installer won't download

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.