Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slow download for all iOS devices on home WiFi

Hi community,

The best place for this question I don't know. It could be with my ISP but I'm just starting here as it's confined to iOS.

Out of the blue and with no change to my home Internet or networking infrastructure, I am (or have) experienced this when connected to my home WiFi:

- All new app downloads and existing app update downloads from the app store on my iPhone 5S running the latest iOS (as at today's date) are occurring at a glacial pace. I'm talking 30-60 mins for a 60mb app.

- All new app downloads and existing app update downloads from the app store on my iPad Air running the latest iOS (as at today's date) are occurring at a glacial pace. I'm talking 30-60 mins for a 60mb app.

- iTunes recently updated on my Windows 10 PC using Apple Software Update and it occurred at a much slower download speed than I am used to.

- My friend connected his iPhone 6 to my home WiFi and tried to update an app - it downloaded at the same painfully slow pace as my iOS devices.

- Speed tests using the OOKLA speed test app on my iPhone shows normal Internet download speeds.

- Browsing the web on the same 3 iOS devices is fine, as in speed is normal.

- Browsing the web in my Windows 10 PC occurs at normal speeds.

- Visiting the Apple website and downloading iTunes from there is all at normal fast speeds.

So as you can see, I'm experiencing extremely slow download speeds from the App Store on all iOS devices when connected to my home WiFi but normal Internet speeds from all non-iOS devices.

I have tried configuring QoS on my modem to give the iPhone highest priority but it made no difference. After a few other QoS tweaks made no difference, I turned QoS back OFF. I have restarted the modem a few times, check the settings (but like I said, nothing's changed). A firewall would block or not block my connections, not just make it slower. I've used WirelessMon to check my WiFi channel and interference and it all looks normal. I changed the channel on the router anyway but it made no difference. I've turned off other WiFi devices. In my house, if I turn WiFi off on my phone and use 4G, apps download fast so it's only on the WiFi/Home Internet (which is where people here might tell me to go away but remember, it's only happening on iOS and maybe Apple Software Update on the PC).

Anyway, I've probably rambled on enough probably for you to get a good idea of the issue. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

Oh and yes, I've turned the iOS devices off and on again 🙂

Cheers.

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Aug 18, 2015 5:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 20, 2015 7:15 PM

I have been having this problem too for the past week. Apple Music, Mac App Store, and iOS App Store downloads have all been excruciatingly slow over home wifi, even as everything else works normally, and Speedtest shows very fast wifi speeds on all devices.

Apple wanted me to restore all my devices, but I knew it had to be router or server related somehow, given how the problem was showing up.

Here's what worked for me: I changed the DNS settings on my home router from their default values to to OpenDNS. After I did that, all downloads went right back to normal.

The OpenDNS IP addresses are:

https://www.opendns.com/home-internet-security/opendns-ip-addresses/

Hope this helps others!

Steve

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 20, 2015 7:15 PM in response to PerthMac

I have been having this problem too for the past week. Apple Music, Mac App Store, and iOS App Store downloads have all been excruciatingly slow over home wifi, even as everything else works normally, and Speedtest shows very fast wifi speeds on all devices.

Apple wanted me to restore all my devices, but I knew it had to be router or server related somehow, given how the problem was showing up.

Here's what worked for me: I changed the DNS settings on my home router from their default values to to OpenDNS. After I did that, all downloads went right back to normal.

The OpenDNS IP addresses are:

https://www.opendns.com/home-internet-security/opendns-ip-addresses/

Hope this helps others!

Steve

Aug 20, 2015 9:00 PM in response to PerthMac

In addition to the DNS servers posted by Steve above for the router, everyone can use Google's own DNS servers on their iPhones which are quite fast and reliable - they have two of them and one can actually enter both into the DNS setting on your iPhone. Enter 8.8.8.8 , 8.8.4.4 in the DNS spot. What will happen is that the phone will check 8.8.8.8 first and then also check 8.8.4.4 if needed to speedup the IP address translation. This also tends to speed things up.

On the phone go to Settings > Wi-Fi > on your network click on the little circle with an i in it at the very right, then under DNS just enter the numbers above. One can just enter one or the other or both as I showed. There is no risk to this and that is how I have all y devices configured.

elcpu

Aug 21, 2015 5:24 PM in response to PerthMac

Hi everyone,

Thanks to all that replied and I'm glad to see that the DNS idea has worked for some. I'm unfortunately not able to say whether or not the DNS change works for me because just as random as it was getting the problem in the first place, it has just as randomly starting working normally again without me doing anything. The DNS is definitely something I didn't consider though and looks like it could be the answer... except for iDome90, sorry iDome.

I won't mark it as the answer just yet to see if there's any more replies or ideas. Will mark it answered soon though, if nothing changes.

Cheers all, have a good weekend.

Slow download for all iOS devices on home WiFi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.