Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Scrambled folder names on NAS drive

I'm on a Mid-2012 Mac Pro, 3.2ghz quad-core with 16mb ram running Yosemite 10.10.4.

In our office, we share data on a Drobo B800fs. About 2-3 weeks ago, I was looking through the folders on that drive and noticed that a bunch of folders (10-15) in one directory had scrambled names, like so: User uploaded file

The embedded picisn't the first directory where I noticed this behavior, just a convenient example showing good folder names and random ones..

At first, I was afraid the drive some data corruption issues, so I clicked through to those randomly-named folders, and the files inside were just fine. Just the folder names were scrambled. Still wondering if the Drobo was having issues, I checked in that same directory from two different machines on the network, and the names were just fine. It was just my machine.

I renamed them, and they haven't re-scrambled, but there's a bunch of directories on that drive that are showing that behavior - sometimes a single folder, sometimes as many as a doze - no rhyme or reason to which folders have scrambled names.

I tried looking for similar problems and so far, nothing. I tried re-creating the following items in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfig/

.com.apple.nat.plist

.com.apple.network.eapolclient.configuration.plist

.com.apple.smb.server.plist

NetworkInterfaces.plist

(backed those up, trashed the originals, reboot)

I've been digging to see if there are any other network pref files that might be an issue. I also realize that this might be a problem with the Drobo (and they're getting an email, too) but it seems more like something OS-level on this box since it's the only one on the network (out of 8) that's showing this behavior.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Aug 18, 2015 8:27 AM

There are no replies.

Scrambled folder names on NAS drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.