Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

itunes never recognises library

I've recently upgraded from Windows Vista to Windows 7, mainly as I couldn't install the latest version of iTunes. Since downloading the latest version it never recognises where my library is. It loads as if I've never used iTunes before, comes up with the agreement and asks if I'd like to scan my computer for media.

Why won't it recognise where my library is? I've always used an external drive with iTunes and I've never really had a problem. Does anybody please know the solution? I'm tired of trying to remember to press shift before clicking on iTunes to load my library every time.

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Aug 18, 2015 10:18 AM

2 replies

Aug 19, 2015 10:38 AM in response to eden58

Hello eden58,

After reviewing your post, it sounds like you have your iTunes media saved to an external HD. I would recommend that you read this article, it may be able to help the issue.

Locate and organize your iTunes files - Apple Support

You can change the iTunes Media folder location to share music between accounts on the same computer.

1. Mac OS X: Choose iTunes > Preferences.
    Windows: Choose Edit > Preferences.
  2. Click the Advanced pane.
    User uploaded file

In the Advanced pane, you can also:

• Make sure that you back up your media to your media folder. Click the check box next to "Copy files to itunes Media folder when adding to library."
  • Reset your media folder to the default location (the iTunes folder). Click the Reset button next to the location box.
  • Move your iTunes Media folder to a new location. Click the Change button next to the location box. After you change the location of the folder:
    • If you make a new or alternate iTunes library, the library will use the new location.
    • Existing files won't be moved unless you choose File > Library > Organize library and choose the option to "Consolidate files."

If you want to move your music to a new computer, see How to move your music to a new computer.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.
Have a nice day

itunes never recognises library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.