Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HELP ! iWeb 3.04 won't transmit an index file so website inop

We have two Mac laptops, both have iWeb 3.04. Just love this program. We have five websites all all of them work and have index files seen in File Manager in the Cpanel

BUT last night the largest website was updated and the website did not work. To test this, uploaded a slightly different site to the same folder, replacing the contents. AGAIN, no index file. Made a new folder in File Manager ---> upload ----> no index file.

Uploaded to a different folder in the public_html folder and again, NO INDEX file.

The web hosting service said it is not their problem, and that iWeb is not transmitting the index file. This means that two different computers with iWeb are not producing the index file, both stopping at the same time. Seems impossible… two different computers, two different iWeb apps, two different websites.

What to do ? Need to publish this site ASAP.

Posted on Aug 18, 2015 11:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2015 3:00 PM

Publish your website to a folder on the Desktop and check there to see if an index.html file is included. If so use a 3rd party FTP app like Transmit, Cyberduck or Yummy FTP Lite to upload to your server.

User uploaded file

9 replies

Aug 18, 2015 3:21 PM in response to Old Toad

Old Toad--- you are just everywhere helping everyone. Awesome.

Problem solved, but not by the neat way you described. Using FILE MANAGER I made ten folders in the root directory, and uploaded the site to each one. A few did form an index file, but most did not.

So after erasing the web files in the directory folder, I used the copy function to put the folder and index into the directory folder and now the site works.

QUESTIONS:

1. Why does iWeb fail to make an index file ?

2. Is Everweb more reliable ?

Aug 19, 2015 9:35 AM in response to Old Toad

Old Toad, once the site is published to a folder on a USB thumb drive, may that external drive be placed in another MacBook with iWeb and that published folder used to make changes to the website on the web server? Or must the data on the external drive be imported into the second MacBook's iWeb and then used from there to publish to the WWW?

Aug 19, 2015 10:00 AM in response to MacPcConsultant

Once published to a folder, iWeb's job is done.

You can do whatever you want with that folder.

If you want to make changes you can edit the files in that folder.

But it's better to use iWeb. How to do that, I'll copy the answer from this topic (just below this topic) :

I need help connecting my new MacBook Pro to my "iWeb" web site that is hosted on the school's Mac mini web server.

iWeb uses a domain file to store its assets.

It's here :

~/Library/Application Support/iWeb/

where ~ is your Home Directory (Cmd-Shift-H).

You need to transfer it from your old computer to your new one.

Use this :

http://wyodor.byethost8.com/iwebsites/iWebSites.html

HELP ! iWeb 3.04 won't transmit an index file so website inop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.