Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slow downloads - all devices, all types of download, and Apple-only

Starting at least a week ago, not sure exactly when, ALL downloads of any kind from Apple have been glacially slow. All of the iTunes Radio stations I've tried have dropouts and stuttering that makes them unusable - on my Mac Mini, my iPad, and my iPhone. App downloads on my iOS devices - extremely slow. Software Update or Mac App Store downloads on my Mac - same thing.

At first I thought it might be due to last week's iOS and Mac OS X updates, but it has continued well into this week, and I don't know for sure that it started around the time of those updates. And it's clearly NOT my devices or network - iHeartRadio is fine on my Mac, I can stream iPad video from a local TV station's newscasts, web pages load fine on my Mac and iPad, etc.

For some reason - not a conspiracy theory, but maybe a CLUE to the problem - the ADS stream fine on iTunes Radio, just not the music!

On my iPhone, the dropouts actually stop the radio station - I have to tap on the "play" icon to try to start it up again, but that usually fails. Software Update downloads often fail and restart from scratch, presumably due to timeouts, wasting both MB and hours on the failed downloads.

This is being discussed in other threads, one of which I've added to, but this is a more general "everything is affected" posting.

Though I'm posting to the Yosemite area, it's not just Yosemite.

Posted on Aug 18, 2015 12:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2015 1:24 PM

Please test any of your devices on another network. Your ISP may be throttling Apple content.

26 replies

Aug 19, 2015 7:30 AM in response to Linc Davis

Since it's a Mac Mini, I can't easily transport it to try another network, and I only have one at home. At home, I get really lousy T-Mobile signal, but I'll try Radio when I'm elsewhere.

However, this has never been a problem until the past week or two, and there are lots of similar reports in Discussions - Radio dropouts, slow app installs, etc. I suppose it's possible that tons of people have bad ISPs, but it seems a little hard to accept that that's the only issue.

Aug 19, 2015 8:33 AM in response to Linc Davis

No, I have one home CenturyLink DSL connection, which feeds my AirPort Extreme base station. My Mac Mini is connected to the base station by an Ethernet cable, while my iOS devices obviously use Wi-Fi. I don't get a good enough T-Mobile signal to try that at home, either on the iOS devices or using one of them as a personal base station.

When I have a chance, I'll try the iPhone and iPad on either a decent T-Mobile signal or another Wi-Fi network.

Aug 19, 2015 8:56 AM in response to Doug Eldred

New tidbit: from Safari, I get great download speed for the 10.10.5 Combo Updater, so it appears to depend on exactly what kind of transfer is being initiated from what specific app. Music, app store, etc. are all slow for Apple, but Safari seems to be okay even for Apple downloads.

(I'm already on 10.10.5, that's just a large file on the Apple site to test download speed...)

Aug 19, 2015 9:33 AM in response to Linc Davis

Agreed. It'll be interesting to see what I get when I can use the iOS devices on either T-Mobile or another Wi-Fi.

I just downloaded iTunes 12.2.2 in a few minutes via Safari (on the El Capitan public beta), while it would have taken hours (if it even finished) via App Store. With Safari, I got over 1 MB/sec (reported by Safari, Activity Monitor showed an even higher bitrate), while App Store was getting more like 50-100 KB/sec. All on my Mac, of course.

Aug 19, 2015 9:48 AM in response to Doug Eldred

I am seeing the exact same thing. Yesterday I clicked to update the Raw Camera data offered by the App Store. The update was 17MB. I have an 18mbps DSL line that is functioning very well. The APP Store update took almost 30 minutes to download when it should have taken just a few seconds. All other network functions like surfing, videos (YouTube), email, etc. are working fine. It’s just the App Store.

I live in the Midwest (near Saint Louis). It would be interesting to see if the original poster lives there too or is somewhere else in the country.

Slow downloads - all devices, all types of download, and Apple-only

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.